Reed Valve Stops???

JeepOfDeath01

Nov 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Pulled the reed cage out last night on the blaster I recently bought and noticed there were no stops on the cage. Do I need these or is it common to remove them?

Reed stops are there for a reason. the turbulance in the crank may cause the reeds to flex and twist if they have no stop to lean on, which could end in a reed cracking or breaking.

Some people remove them and then have problems.

Hey guys, new here but not new to these, lol. You can bend the stops out a lil but don't remove em on a stock pedals, they'll break for sure. Carbon pieces might let ya by with a lil more flex but not stockers.

The engine can only burn so much fuel open the reeds to where they hit the stops theres enough fuel there to power almost a fully modded blaster.

I learned the hardway on this subject, i took them out when i got boyseans reeds but hey broke a year or so later and then had problems everytime i put a new set in they broke until i put the stops in.

Wierdly i have a set of stops right here beside my laptop i got for free from a great member on here, if he wants to pop in and say his name he can.

We had a set of Boyeson reeds with the stops removed, Idk how old the pedals were but one broke. Anyway, we had a set of stockers to get us goin, installed em w/o the stops, made 2 passes & broke again. So we put stops back on & a set of stock reeds back in & haven't broken a set in months. Strangely, putting stock reeds back in didn't kill performance at all.

heres my experience with the stops on a stock cage................

i had a set of boysen carbon fiber reeds break on me in the middle of nowhere, years back, with the reed stops on, not a fan after that

about 2 years ago decided to upgrade my reeds, i got a set of "AKTIVE" fiberglass reeds, $20 from ebay
ran them without the stops, and the bike would just shut down in the middle of wide open runs, after some "googling" i found out this is called "high speed flutter"
seems the reeds will open so far, they cannot close fast enuf at high rpm's.
and the bike just shuts down, as compression is forced back out thru the intake while the reeds are hanging open
threw the reed stops back on and ran great for the rest of that season, sold them when i switched to VF3's, which also have reed stops on them.
i highly doubt a company like moto tassinari (vf3), after all the R&D involved in the VF3's, would install reed stops if they didnt serve a very good purpose, or hindered performance at all

Well that would be me who sent 1995blaster the stops lol and if i have something i don't need and a helpful member needed them hell yea i would help but anyway back to the thread i would leave them on with any reeds rather safe then sorry

Ima let yall in on a lil secret, after market reeds barely do anything hp wise with or without the stops.
VF's are top of their game only because it's a full cage replacement and even then you would be surprised how much you gain over stock reeds, were talkin 2-5hp max.
Just a reed upgrade will net you about 2-3hp.
Only a hemroided ass dyno would feel that.

/\/\/\ i didnt even think you'd gain that much
it just feels like it due to the quicker throttle response

I can understand that VF3 would increase HP due to a while different flow pattern for the intake, but general replacement reeds, in theory, don't do a damn thing for HP. They do change the throttle response characteristics though!!

I've had boyesen dual stage reeds w/o the reed stops for about 3 years now??? No problems at all, however, after these stories I'm going to throw the stock set in the little tool box area in a plastic bag just in case!

Also, in a pinch you could use a credit card as a replacement reed if you were to get stranded out in the woods. Just trim to size and you'll be good to go.