Reed cage leak - Leak down test

lucknuts

Apr 27, 2019
I’m having a piss of a time fixing this. Finishing a rebuild, doing leak down test and no matter what I try I still have a leak at the bottom of this reed cage.

I’ve tried two gaskets, I’ve tried one gasket and liquid gasket. I’ve tried both sides being liquid gasket. Each time I’m cleaning the surfaces.

Went to re-torque that bottom right one and it snapped right off. My luck with this engine and it’s screws, snapping so easy. Was able to get it out now need to re-tap it. Anyone know the threads on this? (Asking but I’ll research it.).

I can do the leakdown test without that right side cover and gasket on can’t I? Overall the only bubbles I was seeing and it was a very slow leak but enough for me to notice it was on this reed cage.

Any other suggestions for the next time I give it a go I’d appreciate it.

CBF292AA-D9F9-43FA-A104-BA051B59F8E8.jpeg

The torque specs for those four bolts is 10 ft lbs. Which is hardly anything, just barely snug. If you tightened them anywhere near tight enough to break one off, I can just about gauruntee you thats the problem. The rubber carb boot surface warps very easily when those bolts are too tight, and will cause a leak just as you are describing. Clean all the surfaces very well. You can use brake cleaner on the metal but dont put any on the rubber carb boot. Assemble it with one gasket, a very thin coat of 1184 case bond or permatex ultra copper on both sides of it. Also put a thin layer of said sealant in between the rubber carb boot and the reed cage. And tighten the bolts JUST SNUG. Remember to use blue threadlock on them. WAIT overnight and then leak test it again. If it still leaks, there may be a very small defect in the metal surface, or, more likely, you have a warbed surface on the carb boot.

Reactions: lucknuts and Awk08
I thought it was 7lbs
No matter, you must tighten in a crisscrossing pattern incrementally (little bit at a time)
Might have to get new reed cage at this point
Usually two gaskets does the job
Do NOT use silicone

Reactions: lucknuts
6BA97E2D-41F9-4F8D-9A28-DC35FD59C9FC.jpeg

Finished all the leftover. Only thing left is this reed cage issue and make sure leak down is top. 1184 on both sides. Tried thin before, did a little more this time but not too much. We will see in the morning. Oil block off kit installed as well. Next will be to take out all the wiring for the TORS before I put the engine back in. Yeehaw

Thanks for the help. If it doesn’t work, I’ll be looking for more parts. :)

Last edited:
05F0AFA7-56B7-4AB7-ADC2-CA3C4B187A8C.jpeg

It worked by leaving it over night. Guess I was moving a little quick every time. Thank you. :)