Rebuild? Top bottom or both?

drgnfly5179

Jun 17, 2011
Ok I got a 2002 blaster for cheap. Don't know if it has any mods. Ran ok the first time I took it out. The following day I rode it around the yard for about 15 min. then it just died. Got it to kick back over after a bunch of kicks. Ran for another 2 min. and died again. This time tried to kick it over and the kick start would not move at all. Put it in neutral and it rolls fine. Tried putting it in gear and rolling it and the tires just slide. What is wrong and what needs rebuilt? I have been mixing the gas(93 octane) 40:1 since the oil tank is not on the atv. Could this have messed it up if the oil tank was not removed properly(block kit)? Any info would help new to atv's, 2 strokes and limited mechanical skills.

Yeah, pull the top end. If you have problems getting that jug off, you have a top end issue. If the jug comes right off, but the rod wont spin on the crank, you need a bottom end rebuild.

Here,

My suggestion for a knew owner of an old atv is to acquire a service rebuild manual, downloadable here somewhere?

Get a decent set of wrenches and sockets in metric,sears craftsman are decent.

Buy three specialty tools off ebay or elsewhere,

1 a stator flywheel puller ~20$, get the good one with the bolt head, not the one that has flat spots machined into it.

2 a bearing/case splitter/bearing installer, kind of expensive but only option to reassemble cases

3 flywheel/clutch hold tool

and a leakdown testing setup

Take the engine out and tear into as many peices as possible then put it back together with new seals and gaskets, so you know how it works and what you have is right.

But since you allready screwed yours up, your going to anyway, have fun.