Rear brakes

808blaster

Feb 16, 2015
My rear brakes dont stop me as they should! Possibly in need of new brake pads? If so what kind of pads should I buy I have a 2000 blaster.

If pads appear to look good still why else would cause the rear brakes not to work properly?

They are supposed to be self adjusting, so that the pads move inward as they wear, but it doesn't always work. Even when functioning perfectly, they still aren't great. Everyone here here will recommend the setup that awk makes, it works great

They are supposed to be self adjusting, so that the pads move inward as they wear, but it doesn't always work. Even when functioning perfectly, they still aren't great. Everyone here here will recommend the setup that awk makes, it works great
That's right^. I wouldn't even waste effort trying to make those work. To each there own though.

As stated above, the problem with the mechanical brakes is the self adjuster. I tried everything to get them to work. New pads, shorty cable and still after every ride had to pull the cover off and adjust the self adjuster. After riding for a couple hours they would just stop working. The shorty cable does take alot of the play out of the system but still no worky.

Reactions: dirtysquared

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 395
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 338
yes, those are the stock cable brakes

It's suppose to do that. It's a floating rear disc.

One side of the brake caliper is fixed. When you apply pressure to the pedal, the non fixed side pushes the disc into the other pad. It does that to create even wear on the pads.