Rear axle bearing

Hendy

Apr 19, 2015
Can anyone tell me if its easy enough to to replace a rear axle bearing on my blaster. If so can you get new bearing in without a press any tips . Cheers

Welcome. You can definitely do it without a press. Getting the axle and bearing OUT is normally the hard part, you will need a good bfh (big fn hammer). To get the new bearing in easier, throw it in the freezer for a few hours before install, just DONT SPIN IT while cold. Throw some heat to the carrier just before install and it will go in pretty easy. Use something as close as you can to the outside diameter of the bearing to help tap it on in.

Reactions: Hendy

Not a bad video. I recommend leaving the brakes on till you are ready to slide the axle out. I use the brakes instead of a pipe wrench to hold the axle while removing the nuts on the sprocket side. Completely remove the axle, then remove the carrier. Install the new bearings then slide the axle in. Some people add a grease zerk on the carrier while it is apart.

If the bearings are giving you trouble going in, do not pound them in. Try putting the bearings in the freezer to shrink them down a bit, they usually will drop right in.

Good luck you got this.

Welcome. You can definitely do it without a press. Getting the axle and bearing OUT is normally the hard part, you will need a good bfh (big fn hammer). To get the new bearing in easier, throw it in the freezer for a few hours before install, just DONT SPIN IT while cold. Throw some heat to the carrier just before install and it will go in pretty easy. Use something as close as you can to the outside diameter of the bearing to help tap it on in.
Cheers

Not a bad video. I recommend leaving the brakes on till you are ready to slide the axle out. I use the brakes instead of a pipe wrench to hold the axle while removing the nuts on the sprocket side. Completely remove the axle, then remove the carrier. Install the new bearings then slide the axle in. Some people add a grease zerk on the carrier while it is apart.

If the bearings are giving you trouble going in, do not pound them in. Try putting the bearings in the freezer to shrink them down a bit, they usually will drop right in.

Good luck you got this.
Cheers

The absolute easiest way is to use a bearing puller. The type with a slide hammer and the adjustable collets that go into the race of the bearing.

I've rented them before from auto parts stores and had great luck.

But then I'm also kind of cheap and do things my own way too. I've gotten them out by first removing the oil seals on the end, sliding a long extension through the carrier, and tapping them out. The first one is the hardest, after its out, remove the spacer tube, and you have a direct shot at the 2nd bearing. Just make sure you clean everthing well, and use heat on the carrier, and freeze the new bearings, and you'll be golden.

Reactions: Hendy
Can you tell me if it's easy to get old bearings out and any tip on how cheers

the problem with getting them out is catching the edge of the bearing from the opposite side with the inner spacer in the way, I have a very large screwdriver I bent the tip on slightly to allow it to snag that edge better, and work at it around in a circle.
a vise, some PB Blaster, and a torch to get the bearing area hot also helps.

Reactions: mostdope97
The absolute easiest way is to use a bearing puller. The type with a slide hammer and the adjustable collets that go into the race of the bearing.

I've rented them before from auto parts stores and had great luck.

But then I'm also kind of cheap and do things my own way too. I've gotten them out by first removing the oil seals on the end, sliding a long extension through the carrier, and tapping them out. The first one is the hardest, after its out, remove the spacer tube, and you have a direct shot at the 2nd bearing. Just make sure you clean everthing well, and use heat on the carrier, and freeze the new bearings, and you'll be golden.
Cheers bud

the problem with getting them out is catching the edge of the bearing from the opposite side with the inner spacer in the way, I have a very large screwdriver I bent the tip on slightly to allow it to snag that edge better, and work at it around in a circle.
a vise, some PB Blaster, and a torch to get the bearing area hot also helps.
Thanks

Just had to do my nephews Banshee and had similar problems. Heated and cooled it several times plus PB Blaster. Finally had to get it red hot and use air chisel to get it off

Reactions: mostdope97
Just had to do my nephews Banshee and had similar problems. Heated and cooled it several times plus PB Blaster. Finally had to get it red hot and use air chisel to get it off
Yeah I bet ! I don’t have all those fancy tools yet lol! Q tho for ya! I’m taking a shee carb and using it in a blaster what exactly do I need to change in that carb.