Re-painting the wife's blaster

Mr.660

Feb 7, 2011
I'll update with pics as I go.

took it apart and letting the plastics sit with citrus gel right now to remove the old paint

182079_193918093969603_100000542413067_674057_4354749_n.jpg

photo2085.jpg

photo2086.jpg

cool, i'm interested in how the citrus gel works on plastics.
does she have a new color in mind ???

Im into the same project for my son! Its in primer now. Im using automotive finishing products and its going black.Prep work is lengthy to get it right. But so far so good.I will put up pics after its complete.Im terrible with pics as I go.

+1 on the prep work. I'm only making the visible panels perfect, I'm not going to worry much about anything underneath or that slips behind panels.
Paint will be some kind of black/pink.

What's so special about the LRD pipe?

The citrus gel is ok, it works, but aircraft stripper would probably work better if it doesn't eat the plastic.
After I let it sit for an hour I took a pressure washer to it.
Then did another coat to the paint still on it, pressure washed and now it's drying. I'll get the rest off with sand paper.

after first application
photo2088.jpg

after second
photo2089.jpg

I think the aircraft stripper would melt the plastic. I put some in a plastic jar when I was doing my frame and it melted a hole in the bottom.

plastics are sanded and washed, now I'm just waiting for a semi dry day to paint them.

the weather this past week was crazy. I work at a golf course next to a river and it severely flooded. just today I spent 5 hours shoveling bunker sand out of a flower bed.

you can see the bridge behind the big tree's, that's where the river channel is.

395117_352047708156640_100000542413067_1361614_1839866343_n.jpg

I haven't forgot about this.

everything is painted and wetsanded to 2000 grit, except for 1 damn fender.
I burnt through with the sand paper and when I starting spraying more layers on the fender, the old paint wrinkled from the new paint 8-|
So I have to strip it and restart.

p.s. wetsanding sucks.

lifting paint SUCKS! had that happen before as well.

keep after it, prep work is definitely the king.

good luck with the flood recovery, went through that in 2010 and it was NOT fun

always blows when u hit the old paint and its not friendly with the new paint, dealt with a lot of bs like that at my old job where we would fix other shops mistakes

Worse yet is when you're "MANLY" and don't read directions. Not all rattle cans are the same. I've had some re-spray "windows" of like within 1hr or after 48hr, at 2 hours it worked just like zip strip. Ask me how I know.