Rattle Noise Help!

Jaggerd

May 7, 2019
I recently rebuilt a 88 blaster with Vito’s 3mm stroker crank and a Chinese top end, my blaster started making a rattling noise after about 3 hours and I thought something came loose under the clutch cover, nope I took it all apart and put it back together, I then thought it was piston slap and put a wiseco piston in it (66mm std bore) and checked to make sure there was no play in the rod and piston clearances were perfectly in spec. And I got about 1.5 hours now on it including 3 heat cycles and it started to make the noise again. So I pulled back off the clutch cover knowing it couldn’t be the top or bottom end and noticed my clutch basket has a good amount of play, I replaced the internal basket when rebuilding the engine. Could the source of this rattle be from the clutch???
I don’t want to start it up and keep it running because i do not want to break anything so I’m only kicking it over.
Also the rattle came back after putting it in first gear and moving about 5 ft then putting it back in neutral and sitting for about 30sec.

Vids in a few min....

Did you follow the instructions for the crank for clearance between rod and crankcase?
Inspect cylinder for proper chamfering of ALL ports? Inadequate chamfering very common problem with cheap chingchong cylinder.
Hope you haven't scrapped old cyl yet

Did you follow the instructions for the crank for clearance between rod and crankcase?
Inspect cylinder for proper chamfering of ALL ports? Inadequate chamfering very common problem with cheap chingchong cylinder.
Hope you haven't scrapped old cyl yet
I still have oem cylinder, it sill has a few sizes left in it I believe, it’s at 67.5 I think but it was blown and I decided on china cylinder, ports are all chamfered and rod and crankcase cleared but I never knew there was a spec

I forgot to mention I topped off the tank with brand new pump gas I just bought yesterday 93octane klotz supertechni 25:1 previously at 32:1 93 octane and I was retuning because I switched to the original Mikuni, this time at least. The previous Time it happened with opti:2 32:1 93 octane after a 30min racing around.

Last edited:
I still have oem cylinder, it sill has a few sizes left in it I believe, it’s at 67.5 I think but it was blown and I decided on china cylinder, ports are all chamfered and rod and crankcase cleared but I never knew there was a spec

Men are odd, we HATE instructions that come with stuff. Spec is .020 I did mine .040. It's time consuming because you put crank in one case half with piston on rod, fit cylinder on, check clearance. Take it apart and file/grind as necessary. You have to protect all bearings from debris.

Only way to find out is to check it.

Could this be the source of a rattle/ knock

Men are odd, we HATE instructions that come with stuff. Spec is .020 I did mine .040. It's time consuming because you put crank in one case half with piston on rod, fit cylinder on, check clearance. Take it apart and file/grind as necessary. You have to protect all bearings from debris.
I never got instructions...

I never got instructions...

it was a small piece of paper maybe 3" square
Doesnt matter much, you fixed the problem. Due to the way the blaster motor is made apparently sometimes the rod can contact the cases. Mine was close, barely within specs, but I hogged it out anyway :cool: