Raptor 90 No start

blowncash

Jun 27, 2011
Hi guys I picked up a 09 Raptor 90 for my daughter today. When I turn on the key and push the start button nothing happens. If I jump the terminal on the starter relay it turns over and runs. So with this I have eliminated the starter and the battery as potential problems. The fuse is good whats left. This thing is an 09 but its like brand new. Starter solenoid/relay? Any help is great. This is the last mini quad I have to buy next its her blaster! But shes only 7 !Lol

Nevermind! Im a Dumbass! I had the front brake/ebrake in the lock position,thinking that it was the brake interloc thingy. Well its hooked to the rear brake,I pulled the brake lever and away she went!! Now I have carb issues. It runs but not so good. Im sure Ill be back with more questions. But for now apart the carb comes for a thoro cleaning!

Yep. I got it for a good price cuz it would only idle,and barely did that.I pulled the carb and OMG I cant believe its an 09. This thing is so varnished its unreal. Must have rode it once and parked it and havent touched it in years.I had to put the pilot jet into my cordless drill chuck and slowly spin it while pushing a guitar string with a pair of pliers to clear the darn thing. I ordered a new bigger pilot anyway but thats how nasty this thing was. I have no idea how it even started and idled. The bottom of the float bowl was green and brown and stunk like varnish. I reassembled and tried it only to find I have no fuel going into the carb. I took it apart and the needle on the float was varnished into the inlet hole. I had to carefull wiggle it out while it was attached to the float. It looked ok when I took it apart the first time so I left the float in place,oops! Well I must have sofetened up that crap cuz it just glued itself shut and no fuel could enter the bowl.So now Im gonna just wait for the new pilot jet before I reassemble it again. I spayed every port I could find on this carb with carb spray. What do you guys think? Is this carb gonna be junk from varnish in some of these small ports?

A carb can always be cleaned out. It just takes a lot of carb cleaner and compressed air. Make sure you go over EVERYTHING at least three times because it was so gunked up. Spray everything with carb cleaner then spray it through with compressed air. And just for good measure, take everything out of the carb, jets, needle, float, ect. then soak the carb and bowl in gas for about an hour. Then spray everything down again. That should do it! haha

Yep. I got it for a good price cuz it would only idle,and barely did that.I pulled the carb and OMG I cant believe its an 09. This thing is so varnished its unreal. Must have rode it once and parked it and havent touched it in years.I had to put the pilot jet into my cordless drill chuck and slowly spin it while pushing a guitar string with a pair of pliers to clear the darn thing. I ordered a new bigger pilot anyway but thats how nasty this thing was. I have no idea how it even started and idled. The bottom of the float bowl was green and brown and stunk like varnish. I reassembled and tried it only to find I have no fuel going into the carb. I took it apart and the needle on the float was varnished into the inlet hole. I had to carefull wiggle it out while it was attached to the float. It looked ok when I took it apart the first time so I left the float in place,oops! Well I must have sofetened up that crap cuz it just glued itself shut and no fuel could enter the bowl.So now Im gonna just wait for the new pilot jet before I reassemble it again. I spayed every port I could find on this carb with carb spray. What do you guys think? Is this carb gonna be junk from varnish in some of these small ports?

You can salvage that carburetor. I clean ugly ones like that at work all the time. Get on the phone with people you know and see if anybody has (or would let you borrow) an ultrasonic cleaner. If you have a friend who's a jeweler, he'd probably help you out.

Fill the ultrasonic cleaner with a solution of Simple Green (or similar) degreaser and dilute it with water. Take the carburetor COMPLETELY apart, stick all the small parts in the cleaner, and turn it on for a couple hours. When you pull the carb and all the small brass jets out of the vat, it will shock you how clean the parts have become.

Ultrasonic cleaners are safe on plastic and rubber parts, too, (as long as you use mild degreaser) so if the slide in that carb is gummed-up, too, throw it in there!

Reactions: blowncash
Cool! I dont have or have access to an ultrasonic cleaner. So Im gonna go with the compressed air and carb spray plan. The carb actually looks good until I started taking the jets and stuff out.Then it was like somebody dumped goo all over the internals.

Cool! I dont have or have access to an ultrasonic cleaner. So Im gonna go with the compressed air and carb spray plan. The carb actually looks good until I started taking the jets and stuff out.Then it was like somebody dumped goo all over the internals.

That works. If the carb cleaner doesnt get it clean enough, you can go to the local auto parts store and get a can of Berryman's Chem-Dip and vat the carb/jets that way. DO NOT put rubber or plastic parts in there, however, because the solvent will eat them alive.

I was thinking the same thing.Its like $15 for a can of carb parts cleaner that you dip your carb into. Does it have to be Berrymans? Farm n Fleet sells it but its not berrymans

Ok! I cleaned the carb very good took it all apart and soaked it then used spray can of cleaner and it flowed through every port I sprayed into. It exited somplace. Now Im putting it back together and I read someplace that I can shim the needle to bring the main on sooner. So I pulled the needle out of the slide and there is only 1 groove with a clip on it and there is a nylon spacer/washer in place. Has this mod already been done? Or do I add to this spacer? Its thicker then your average washer so I call it a spacer.If I add to it,how much? I really doubt that anyone has been in this carb before me,but I cant say for 100% certain.The nylon spacer already in the carb when I took it apart measures .098 and I would be adding .053 to that.I could maybe sand a little off the one spacer. What you think?

Last edited:
Honestly, there's no need to mess with the needle. The factory has that carb calibrated very well, and the engine won't benefit from any needle adjustment unless you've installed an aftermarket exhaust or modified the intake.

Put it back the way you found it, reassemble everything, try the starter, and see what happens. I bet it will be running 100%.

Ok,Its so damn cold around here right now, I cant test ride this thing. 3 degrees! now -1,just miserable. However in my heated garage this thing started right up and seems to be running great!

I also drianed the tank and cleaned the fuel lines with spray and installed a new fuel filter. Went and got new fuel and added seafoam to it. Filled it up and now Im waiting on a break in this crap weather.

Little late to help you but might help someone. Might not be quit as good as a real ultrasonic but hella lot cheaper. I know next time I clean a carb I'm going to try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats funny cuz I was tring to come up with something like this... My plan was to use an engraver and strap it to the side of the gallon can some how. LOL