question about cylinder casting.

dirtydeezl

Jun 23, 2015
Just got a cylinder and head on eBay for $175. Supposedly it's a used Vitos 240, but on the side it had 195cc displacement casted onto it. By visual comparison and using a tape measure ,the stock piston is much smaller and the bore on the newly purchased head is a tad under 2 7/8". Any input would be helpful thanks.

Attachments

• 14377693427161158443685.jpg
    14377693427161158443685.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 392
Looks like I'm gonna have to ride out to Kansas and choke someone.......
on the plus side, it's extremely clean.....
I'm hoping the guy is just ignorant and not a shifty.........person.
serves me right......

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Truly.
I suppose in the end, 240 is 240 and it didn't cost me $550 dollars.

You still have a 73 mm big bore cylinder!

You will possibly have to get it re bored to suit the piston you choose to fit in it!

Is there a way to visually compare ports or something that might be a clue? I'm certainly no pro at this, I have just bought machines and ridden them all my life.

I do believe the vitos cylinders had the same casting numbers on the side like that as the oem cylinder did.

The Vito's will have tripple ex and cast in boysen ports. Should be a Utube video explaining differences. Also, resleeved wouldn't have alum on bridge @ intake port.

Looks like I'm gonna have to ride out to Kansas and choke someone.......

No choking anyone just yet :)
unless as larry says, the triple exhaust ports are missing ?

the Vito's cylinders do indeed have the 195cm3 cast into them just as a stock cylinder does.

Last edited:
Yep, it's a Vitos cylinder. You can see the 3 casting lines on the side of the intake.

looks to be in nice shape also. Just find out the bore. These cyls dont have very many over bores in them.

It is very nice shape, I guess there will happily be no choking going on ;). I really appreciate you all taking the time to add your input. I learned a lot just now, watching Kens video and reading these replies. I'm pleased that I have the real McCoy and in the long run it will save me a couple bucks. Going to be putting my machine back together on a stock bore for now. Gotta save up the ducketts to bring this cylinder and head over to Danielson. It's my intent to help Ken pay the electric bill. Lol.

Now I need to get the bore Mic'd up to see if she's still 72mm. It still has beautiful cross hatching. They said it was only run for about an hour. Which confuses me On so many levels. But that's a different story all together. Eternally the skeptic....

Hence my confusion...
there really isn't much carbon or evidence of it running long and the Cross hatching is beautiful. Unless they blew it up and rebored it.. thus my mentioning having it Mic'd up.