Question about crankcase

incognito485

Jul 28, 2020
2002 Blaster-Stock

I have a question about the crank case cutout on the stator side (at the top) which is covered by a rubber grommet. After going through the bike, it appears that some jack-wagon put some sort of a pry bar down it to get the stator off. Anyway, while doing this they apparently chipped a small portion that butts up to that cutout. Given that, I am going to repair it so that it will seal completely. My question is, what is that cutout for, is it some kind of vent or a tooling cutout from the manufacturing process? Because if it doesn't affect the engine I am going to completely seal it along with the chip. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

Is. The area on the right side by the top ? If so it takes a rubber grommet.
There is another at bottom right that takes a rubber plug

Blaster Plug.jpg
Blaster Plug.jpg
Is. The area on the right side by the top ? If so it takes a rubber grommet.
There is another at bottom right that takes a rubber plug

Correct, its the one on the top. I'm clear that it takes a rubber grommet, however the case is chipped to the right of it. I can either repair the chip or seal up the chip and the cutout that the grommet covers. But, I don't want to do that if it serves some kind of purpose, which I don't really see to be honest. Red is the cutout under the plug, and the orange is where the chip is.

Sorry, been busy. I replaced the gasket with an OEM and used Quik Steel to fill the cutout and the crack. Worked like a charm. No hydros yet.

Reactions: Slydog
Good deal. Time to ride?

I wish. Now I'm almost done with the oil pump delete. The prior owner(s) pulled the oil jug and plugged the oil lines but left the oil pump assembly intact. On a side note, while checking for leaks, I found what appeared to be missing nuts on the right side near the brake rotor. Maybe someone could provide some insight. Doesn't look right.

Attachments

• Blaster2.jpg
    Blaster2.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 161
Better go buy some nuts. That holds the axle carrier in place and also the chain tensioner