Quad only starts when warm , plz help

Red Beard 507

Oct 21, 2020
So basically my 89 started on one kick a few weeks ago and has slowly gotten worse since I'm from MN so I'm sure the cold has alot to do with it
But recently my exhaust came loose
( fixed) and somehow my spark plug came out ( fixed) and now runs worse than before and have to kick it alot
Today it fired a few times but won't run

compression check and report those numbers here
new B8ES plug
carb and air filter properly cleaned ?
airscrew setting ?
check reeds & flywheel woodruff key

Reactions: Slydog
I don't have a compression checker , yet . Is there any easy upgrades to winterize it ?
Put her in the living room so she is nice and cozy all winter:rolleyes: and a shot of fuel stablizer. Run thru it. Run carb dry?

Last edited:
Put her in the living room so she is nice and cozy all winter:rolleyes: and a shot of fuel stablizer. Run thru it. Run carb dry?
I have ran the carb dry once or twice when outta gas but am wondering if a jet increase is necessary because of the extreme colds up here

I have ran the carb dry once or twice when outta gas but am wondering if a jet increase is necessary because of the extreme colds up here
Yes. If it was jetted for warm summer weather. You definitely have to jet for the cold.
You will have to go up on the main possibly a few sizes. Really depends on temp. Plug chop to confirm jetting. And might have to turn pilot screw in alittle to fatten up idle circuit.write down what you have now as far as pilot screw setting and main. An what temp that was jetted for. Before changing things . if it was jetted correctly it will be easy to go back. Unless your memory is really good

Yes. If it was jetted for warm summer weather. You definitely have to jet for the cold.
You will have to go up on the main possibly a few sizes. Really depends on temp. Plug chop to confirm jetting. And might have to turn pilot screw in alittle to fatten up idle circuit.write down what you have now as far as pilot screw setting and main. An what temp that was jetted for. Before changing things . if it was jetted correctly it will be easy to go back. Unless your memory is really good

Ok so I seem to have gotten it running well and haven't had a chance to grab a new plug yet I'm thinking a small jet increase it seems to not wanna idle correctly till it's really warm and then when going all out like the engine is revving high but the transmission can't keep up ? Can't tell if I'm shifting at the wrong time but my only power band seems to be in middle throttle ...
Weird

Probably jetting or your clutch is slipping?any Free play at clutch leverBuy a 4 pack of plugs or more. You always want a spare anyway. Carb has to be clean. Float has to be. To correct height Engine has to be at normal operating temp before setting pilot. Screw for highest idle. Needle in middle position. Main jetting is probably off. Need to plug chop to see where you need to be on main jetting. You do not want to run it lean. It will fry your topend.What mods do you have? What main is in it now?
What's the temp your jetting at? The northern guys can get you close on the cold weather jetting. But still have to plug chop to confirm