PWK 28mm carb

82cutty

Mar 20, 2015
Buffalo N.Y.
Thinking about picking one up. Good idea ? Stock bore KOR ported cylinder... Head mod. FMF pipe...v-force reeds. K@N filter no lid. Elevation 500 feet. Looking for a baseline on where to start with jetting . I'm seeing 150-160 mains and 40-50 in pilots posted in other threads . Anyone have a clue on what needle and clip position ? Thanks

Is there something wrong with the carb you have.

Is it a 26mm stock carb?

If you have the stock carb you prolly will not do any better with the 28mm with your setup.

New or used carb? If new and sold for a Blaster it should have the correct needle ( and slide)
You may or may not even notice an improvement or change. JMHO.

Probably used...I might give one a go and see what happens . If I can't get it dialed in I can always throw the stocker back on . I know people have used it with great results...just trying to get a baseline on their jetting and go from there .

It runs great with the stock carb...I just want something else to complicate my life with lol . Maybe I'll wait till I can find a better pipe for a bigger carb.

Reactions: Awk08
I picked one up off ebay...should have it buy the weekend hopefully .. Also ordered a bunch of jets and a couple different needles .

Came in yesterday...great shape . Came off a yz 85 . Pulled it apart to clean and get ready for the new jets and needle . I ordered the JJH and JJJ needles . Need to order a float needle valve...looks a little worn . Maybe by next weekend I'll get it in and start to jet it

IMG_20160205_181927_306_zps3ahv4un0.jpg
IMG_20160205_182033_985_zpsz41beb2m.jpg
IMG_20160205_181944_731_zpstzq8topb.jpg

Reactions: bummer981
Installed the carb. finally earlier tonight . I put in a 160 main and a 50 pilot . JJH needle middle clip... started with the air screw 1.5 turns out . Also set the slide open with a 1/8in. drill bit . Fired first kick with a pretty good idle . Blipping the throttle it has a nice response and comes back to idle . I only ran it for like 5 minutes but I'm pretty happy so far . Tomorrow I'll tune in the air screw an hopefully take it for a ride .

Well it starts good and idles good but is rich when I went out for a ride . The 50 pilot is a tad rich...air screw is at 2 1/3 turns out for highest idle . So I'm gonna throw in a 48 in next . 1/2 throttle is a mess...to rich, blubbery then takes off . Needle is on middle clip so i'll lean it 1 notch and see if it gets better . I'll worry about the main jet last after I get it rideable lol . 160 main now...JJH needle

Thanks... It's was definitely rich at first . The pilot is close...im gonna drop to a 48 and lean the needle a notch today and see how she goes.

Did some more jetting today . Much better now after dropping the pilot to a 48...needle to the 2 notch from top and dropped to a 155 main . Needle and main plug chops tomorrow hopefully .

Reactions: joeak47
Yeah Joe it's a pretty nice carb. It should be a nice upgrade when it's jetted right . I think I'm getting close . No full throttle pulls yet that will be after the mid pull is good . Tomorrow I'll adjust the throttle stop at mid throttle and give it a chop . Then on to the main . I bought 6 plugs today lol

Ok today I started with a 48 pilot at 1.5 turns out...JJH needle on middle clip and a 158 main . Temps at 45 degrees and at an elevation of 500-600 feet . Starts first kick and idles great . The slide is open 1/8in. with the idle screw . Pilot is good with a 48 . Now the mid is a mess on the middle clip . Loads up and runs like crap . Did a half throttle plug chop and it was pretty rich . Leaned the clip to the second notch from the top and it runs much better . Still slightly rich with a plug chop...but will leave it for now since its still winter here . The temps have been all over the place this winter . As of right now it runs pretty good and I'm quite happy with this carb so far . I still need to chop the main . The one time I did a wot hit in 5 gear for a couple seconds it ran great and pulled hard with the 158 in there .