Progress Update...

ggaspo13

Jan 20, 2013
S. Jersey
So I figured I'd update you guys on my newly acquired 01' blaster. I ended up buying: rear brake pads, shorty rear brake cable, front wheel bearings, rear carrier bearings, wheel spacers, new rear wheel studs, and a new engine cover gasket.

The brake caliper was SO neglected and the pads were a pain to break free. I ended up cleaning thoroughly, greasing lots, and putting it all back together. Haven't tested yet bc the axle is being a pain in the a$$.

In the process of soaking inner rear axle nut with pb blaster to allow me to remove and change out carrier bearings. That thing is being really stubborn and turning into an all day project ! CAN'T wait ( 8-| ) to get into the carrier, I bet it's a complete mess in there. If it's anything like the inside of the brake caliper....

The wheel spacers look great and I really like the new stance. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet but I'm sure 2.5" all the way around will be very noticeable riding. Previous owner put hex bolts on there which didn't fit the spacer so I had to get new ones (bolts) that did.

Engine cover gasket stopped the leak I was getting and while I was in there I removed the oil pump gear to start pre-mixing.

I am convinced that people ride these things until they break and never do maintenence ! Very annoying to someone like me who likes to stay on top of things before they are ruined.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are making good progress. When you removed the oil pump gear did you put a block off plate in it's place?

Sounds like you are making good progress. When you removed the oil pump gear did you put a block off plate in it's place?

No I didn't opt for the block off plate....from what I've read guys were saying there was no need when removing the gear.....? Should I have?

Progress came to a quick end when I met my maker in a stubborn axle nut. I found what might have been the largest wrench on the east coast and no luck, especially after bending the axle prying up on it !!! I guess it's time to price a replacement axle.....Worst part is I still need the damn thing off to get the old axle out. Actually started cutting into the nut tonight until it got too late for the grinder screaming.

For a few bucks I might as well order one...especially now that I'll be waiting a week or so until my axle gets here !

Are you talking about the hub nuts?
I made my own wrenches for the axle nuts:

http://www.blasterforum.com/custom-fabbing-132/axle-nut-wrenches-49013/#post618135

534703_10151068882915803_1317996014_n.jpg

559249_10151068882460803_1942446268_n.jpg

MY tip of the day: IF done correctly, there should be loctite on those nuts, have to heat them to break the loctite loose.

Your next brain buster will be to get the sprocket hub off 8-|

MY tip of the day: IF done correctly, there should be loctite on those nuts, have to heat them to break the loctite loose.

Your next brain buster will be to get the sprocket hub off 8-|

Heated them up, sprayed them, and got lots of leverage, but no luck. Oh well ! Wider upgraded axle will be here by the weekend.

Yes those nuts ! And I just tried to use a large pipe wrench bc I didn't have a large enough adjustable or the competence to make one like you....

Yeah, pipe wrench just messes the nuts up. Been there!
My 660 Raptor was a nightmare.
Had a hardened setscrew in the outer nut that had the hex stripped. Couldn't drill it, couldn't turn it.
I wanted to save the nuts so I made a custom impact extractor out of toolsteel.
The heated nuts squealed on the threads, I lubed them with sizing wax to protect the axle threads from galling.

Took me 8 hours to get that axle apart and rebuild it, and I fancy myself with "above average" skills.

Steve

FREEEEDOM ! I cut into the nut, broke it free, and finally got the axle out. New axle is enroute to my house and scheduled to be delivered today !!! I:I It's a stock banshee axle and I'm excited about the wider stance...my only question is.....Should I still use the 2.5" spacers in the rear with the wider banshee axle? Too wide????? Front has 2.5" spacers only.

My son has his Blaster widened. Mine is stock width. We have 2 different riding styles. His is pits and flat tracks with jumps and climbs and full speed cornering. Mine is rugged trails and rocks and sneaking between trees. The wider (and longer) stance of his gives him stability on corners and hills. My narrow stance lets me ride like a dirtbike, standing on the pegs to shift the weight where I need it. Wider for me would snag more rocks and roots, whereas now I can easily unload that tire by shifting weight. I have the advantage in the woods, he on the hills and corners. It is all about what you ride.

Having the rear wider than the front does not seem to hurt anything. The rear is where the roll stiffness is, so it makes the most difference anyway.

Steve

FREEEEDOM ! I cut into the nut, broke it free, and finally got the axle out. New axle is enroute to my house and scheduled to be delivered today !!! I:I It's a stock banshee axle and I'm excited about the wider stance...my only question is.....Should I still use the 2.5" spacers in the rear with the wider banshee axle? Too wide????? Front has 2.5" spacers only.

I would use spacers still with banshee axle. It doesnt make it much wider at all.

Thanks for the info guys ! Axle is in, just modding the brake caliper and rotor spacing to make this work. Hopefully I'll have it ready for a test ride tonight. I'll post pics when done too !

So here are a few pics of the progress since I got it. Stock axle, stock with spacers, then banshee with spacers.

Attachments

• Stock Rear.jpg
    Stock Rear.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 312
  • 2.5%22 Spacers.jpg
    2.5%22 Spacers.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 330
  • Rear No Axle.jpg
    Rear No Axle.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 295
  • Banshee Axle in Blaster.jpg
    Banshee Axle in Blaster.jpg