Plasti Dipped My Plastics

82cutty

Mar 20, 2015
Buffalo N.Y.
Ordered some Flex blue last week , decided to do it today . Took a few hours to get the 6 coats on...20 min. between coats . Came out good I'm happy with it . I'll let it dry overnight and put the fenders and gas tank cover on tomorrow .
IMG_20150516_185951_651_zpsu7ozdnwg.jpg
IMG_20150516_204344_538_zpsjfdeocj4.jpg
IMG_20150516_204406_263_zpsbpqh0agz.jpg
IMG_20150516_204238_706_zpszqgfuznq.jpg
IMG_20150516_204158_842_zpsilnvgptw.jpg

Thanks...I'm happy with the color . Looks a little deeper in person . The lighting is weird in the shop . Only took 3 cans to get 6 coats on everything . First 2 coats were light 50 percent coverage .

Looks nice !! Maybe give a durability report in about a year. What did you do for prep?

My son has used it for emblems on his Jeep, works good.

Thanks guys...For prep I just wiped the plastics down 3 times with acetone . Hit it with the air gun and then spray . Not bad for aerosol cans . I'm thinking about getting the spray gun that dipyourcar sells so I can try some of the pearls that they make . That martian blue pearl is pretty nice looking . It's pretty durable...we'll see how that goes over time .

Plastics back on...new seat cover off ebay that was a biotch to stretch on...new tires and wheels painted . Did front wheel bearings yesterday too...they were getting a little raspy . Had to put the stock shocks back on till I get a new preload nut for my sled shocks . It cross treaded somehow when I was removing the springs . Have 2 on the way so hopefully next week
IMG_20150517_153239_900_zpsxdzdam3r.jpg
IMG_20150517_153302_797_zpsogpff1gc.jpg

Thanks...yes vht gunmetal grey wheel paint . This color of plasti dip is getting deeper as it has dried the last day . It's like it's a different color from when I sprayed it yesterday . Pretty cool

I really like the coverage that you got. How were the plastics prior to spraying... Scratches, deep gouges? I would love to hear some durability reports throughout the year. I'm surprised it didn't require an adhesion promoter.

Last edited:
The plastics aren't too bad...typical scratches and a few scuffs . Plasti dip is pretty durable . I've sprayed a lot of rims and they make it through the winter here in Buffalo and look the same as when I sprayed them . Just need to make sure everything is really clean before you lay it down like any paint . Make sure the first 2 layers are really light about 50 percent coverage...then 3-4 full coats . Let it dry 2-3 days . This is the first time I sprayed this color . It gets darker as it dries . Pretty cool

Last edited:
That Gun metal on the rims looks like it might be a nice color for plastics! Good job btw, I will be doing this to mine this weekend for sure

Thanks...post some pictures when you get yours done . Yeah the gunmetal is a nice color . I thought about laying down some black plasti dip then paint over that with regular paint . Don't know how the 2 would react . This way if you don't like the way it turns out you can just peel it off and not do all the sanding . Maybe I try some test pieces .

I haven't tried myself but I was doing research on plasti-dipping and they say using normal painting things (paint, clear coat, etc) on top of plasti-dip makes the plasti-dip harder to peel off. I know dipyourcar.com sells things like a clear coat for plasti-dip but just what I heard from others that using normal paint or clear coat makes removing the plasti-dip a little harder.

I haven't tried myself but I was doing research on plasti-dipping and they say using normal painting things (paint, clear coat, etc) on top of plasti-dip makes the plasti-dip harder to peel off. I know dipyourcar.com sells things like a clear coat for plasti-dip but just what I heard from others that using normal paint or clear coat makes removing the plasti-dip a little harder.

I thought about using the dip clear for a little more shine and to help with the sun but decided not to . It's easy enough to just peal it off and reapply for another $20 and a few hours of time . It's pretty durable should last awhile . Good to know about the regular paint over the dip being harder to remove . I'm going to try some test panels

My buddy plasti dips his eclipse every year but that's just to keep er looking good lol but pretty durable for a car so I'm pretty interested how good it's on a quad. Very nice by the way, lmk how it works out for you, might be something I do next tear down this winter.