Pikledbeats Dream Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

PikledBeats

Apr 19, 2010
Idaho
Note: the blaster in my profile pic was parted out for sale

OK, It is finally time for my dream blaster build I've been planning this for five years and can't wait to share/document it all.

Only one thing I have not decided on . . .

what parts to use/best approach to building my engine. I’ve picked up a few things like exhaust and cosmetic engine components but am looking for some professional insight into what would build the most rock-solid, bulletproof motor.

I will be building this blaster from scratch and have collected all but the engine components. I will be taking pictures along the way and posting them but figured I’d start with an initial post of the parts I’ve collected, traded and bought for my dream blaster build.

Already Have:

2003 Blaster Frame (Gloss Black), wiring, hydraulic brakes, stock motor
Blaster DMC Alien Full Exhaust System
Duncan Racing Billet Exhaust Clamp
Vito’s Oil Injection Block Off (already on motor)
Trenga Racing Billet Oil Injection Cover/Case
- (replaces plastic cover where oil injector was)
Extreme Fabrication Pro Series 1 Nerfs (built in kickup pegs)
Blingstar LTR Heel Guards (custom fabbed to fit Nerfs/Blaster)
Extreme Fabrication Wide Grab Bar
U.M. Racing Full Chassis Skid-Plate
U.M. Racing Swing-Arm Skid Plate
Works Connection Frame Guards
Moose Racing GNCC Blaster Front Bumper
Maier 03-06’ Stock Style Hood/Tank – Honda Red
Maier Custom (raptor style) Front and Rear Fenders – Dark Silver
Moose Utility Division Black Seat Cover
ASR Long travel +3+1 A-Arms (Powdercoated - Gloss Black)
ASR +3 12mm Tie-Rod Kit – (Powdercoated - Honda Red)
ASR Speedlinez 3pc Front Hydraulic Brake Lines
- (+3 bottoms, +2 top for extended steering stem)
04 Honda 400ex Stock Front Shocks
MX Racing +3 Stock Style Swing-arm (Powdercoated - Gloss Black)
SRP Dual Row Bearing Carrier With 03-06 Brake Mount
G-Force Extended Rear Axle/Nut (Adjustable +4 - +6)
Mod Quad Billet Parking Brake Block Off (Red)
ASV Hydraulic Brake Lever/Clutch Lever & Perch (Black)
Tusk Billet Breather Gas Cap (Red)
Custom Fabbed Outerwears Air Box Lid (Similar To EHS)
TwinAir Filter
Moose Racing Chain Slider and Rollers
Tarantula TPR Frame Gusset Kit
Barnett Billet Clutch Basket
Barnett Heavy Duty Clutch Kit
Kenda Klaws on Douglas .190 Red Label Rims
Motion Pro Cables - brake lines

Still Need: (not counting engine)

Rear Shock Setup
Steering Stem +1 or +2 and 1 1/8th Bars
(Not sure what I will go with, still looking)
Stainless Rear Brake line/Brake line clamps
Billet Stator Case

I will post a picture (once I figure out how on this forum) of all the parts laid out on my garage floor before I get started on everything. This is gonna be my dream blaster and I’ve spent five years buying, trading, and overall just working my ass off to put this part collection together to do this build, and am looking forward to also documenting it looking at it all undone is enough to give you a blaster-gasm.

So as you can see I have everything I need besides the motor which is an 03’ bone stock running motor. A lot of you might disagree here, but I wanted to build this motor for reliability and power, not just power (key here is reliability), and I wanted some feedback from other blaster owners. I have decided to steer clear of a 240 kit because I am worried about overall reliability overtime.

So here comes where I need help

Already have the Barnett Clutch Basket and Clutch Kit and DMC Exhaust but need suggestions on the following –

1. Recommended Pistons
2. Best Crank strictly for reliability
3. V-Force or Boyeson
4. Sprocket Size – front and rear (focus is on low end power)
5. Reed Spacer and/or Boost Bottle?
6. O-Ring Chain or Not? (Does o-ring really rob horsepower?)
7. Carb ... TORS removal on 03-06 or ECU?

ANY SUGGESTIONS on the most reliable way to building a blaster motor will help.
I felt this is the most knowledgeable place to ask …

I guess I should mention that this Blaster is being built for trail-riding not racing so focus is on reliability not necessarily power.

I will also be looking for a reputable shop to do the engine rebuild so I know it’s done right so any well-known engine builders out there here is your chance to get in on a sick project.

I have no graphic plans and will not advertise any manufactures through graphics on this bike unless they give me a reason too . . . (fishing here) . . Lol, but look at what i've got so far, this is gonna be one sick blaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Finally Ready For Dream Build ... Need Engine Suggestions

thats a very nice collection you have there, sounds like it's gonna be a very nice build,
only thing i'd do different is front shocks, 400ex's are ok, but "works" would be better on a budget, elka's the best if you can afford them, are the a-arms standard or long travel ??? stock yfz450's with built in rezzies are a good upgrade for the long travel's
400ex for the rear, or aftermarket works or elka if $$$ allow

and the following are strictly just my opinions, i've already offended enuf peeps today, this being my builder, who has built me 2 awsome trail motors and gave me excellent support when i fuk'd things up
there are others out there, but i promote mine !!!!!!!!!!!..................

Ken OConnor Racing, High Performance Motocross Engines, Performance Modifications, Motorcycle valve jobs, Motorcycle Crankshaft Rebuilds, Motocross Cylinder Porting, Motocross Cylinder Head Porting

1. Recommended Pistons .......wiseco
2. Best Crank strictly for reliability.. stock rebuilt and trued by ken oconnor racing
3. V-Force or Boyeson....... v-force 3's
4. Sprocket Size – front and rear (focus is on low end power) 13/40 for the trails, 14/40 is for more open spaces, i didnt like it
5. Reed Spacer and/or Boost Bottle? <<<<< both garbage unless spacer is needed for carb clearence
6. O-Ring Chain or Not? ............O-ring or x-ring, lasts longer, less stretch = less adjustments, but will rob a little, not enuf for a reliable trail bike to worry about, keeping the chain on during the ride sounds more important
7. Carb ... TORS removal on 03-06 or ECU?............ definately remove tors, and depending on how far, or if, you go ported, a bigger carb
28mm - 30mm for stock cylinder
32mm - 34mm for ported
35mm for stroked/ported or 240
most of us like the keihins, the pwk's being far easier to tune than the pj's
but i'm hearing some good things about the mikuni tm's and tmx's

Last edited:

excitted to see some pics of it now and cant wait to see it done!

To go with a nice list of parts, I think i would settle for nothing less than a +3 stroked, ported, LA Sleeve 240. Contact Ken O'Connor for a dream motor.

Def an o-ring chain (at least). The o-ring keeps in lube and dirt out. An x-ring is supposed to steal less power.

MANNNN idk how you have that much patients i woulda slaped that bissh together faster then superman on wonder woman, that shat would be done, as far as motor awk has the right idea but maybe get an agressive oert and polish so you also have reliable power and like a 30 oko,i would search for a 400ex rear and mayby yfz fronts for longtravels or works for standard, idk bout the 400exs

Haha...it took a lot of patience but i had the 92 in my avatar pic to ride.

Anyway they are long travel ASR's, I got the 400ex shocks for trade for some old banshee shocks but yea I'd like to do something to upgrade when I do the rear. I just need 16 1/4 inch shocks to mock it all up.

And Awk thanks for the advice, your on the right track of what I was thinking

Ken does sound good checked out his sight, but man I'd be paying alot in shipping, to send my engine there and back but who knows it's probably worth it for the work

Maintenance os they key to a " Bulletproof " 2 stroke . Correct Jetting , check the compression , check for leakage , make sure critical fasteners are checked before rides , especially intake boots , and keep your filter oiled and clean. Jet to the Rich side , that will protect your piston , and other internals . Use quality Pre-mix oil , Maxima super M is fantastic oil . Above all have fun and yeah , Pics or you're lying !!!!!!! LOL

I'm calling ken today to see what he can do for me and am starting to take pics today. Blastard I agree maintenance is the key and you gave some good guidelines to follow but they are also things all two-stroke owners should know I've had a blaster since 1992 and I am definitely not a liar. But I was looking for engine building ideas not maintenance. Also I have always ran H1-R oil, and swear by it as the best two-stroke oil.

Ok, so I've talked to ken regarding my motor and am probably going to go that route. For porting we talked about carb selection and a Mikuni TM flatslide carb 34mm is what I'm looking at using, I found the intake manifold but will the stock air boot fit to the back side of this carb?

no that airbox boot will need some adapting/cutting to fit that carb, no biggie, at worst a piece of pvc pipe, a few clamps and an adapter boot from here..............
Intake Pipe Reducer

maybe supernoober or someone else that has adapted a stock airbox to a 34mm will chime in

Ok, so I've talked to ken regarding my motor and am probably going to go that route. For porting we talked about carb selection and a Mikuni TM flatslide carb 34mm is what I'm looking at using, I found the intake manifold but will the stock air boot fit to the back side of this carb?

i cut the airbox boot a few inches back where it is bigger and used some pvc to make up the space with a simple heavy duty rubber fitting from lowes. works great and cost around $8 bucks I:I

very nice list of mods dude... and if your going all out you myswell get a aluminum air box to while ur out it so adapting the carb will be a lot easierr

Working on Pics today . . . I'm having trouble posting though directly into post without it being a link. a quick tutorial would be nice

Question though, so this weekend I had a chance to pick up a cherry pair of shocks for cheap. I have long-travel arms made for 400ex size shocks and was able to score a pair of shocks and was hoping someone on here might know something about them.

They are made for a 400ex by a company called Engans in Sweden. I found there shop on internet but could not translate it ... so? I got warranty info and all the warranty/build paperwork etc. for them, called and there was a little language barrier . . . lol. According to the paperwork they were bought overseas for 750 pounds (uk) which is around 1100 american. I was told they're superior to ohlins another swedish shock builder but thats a tall claim. Took a chance for 150$ now trying to find some info. If anyone knows anything about Engans Shocks I'm curious.

i just did a little research on those shocks. i didnt find really any info except they are just as good as ohlins

That's what I keep finding on forums . . . that they are superior to ohlins. I did find out that they are made at a specialty racing shop in sweden that develops suspension setups for ATV's, Snowmobiles, and high end European vehicles such as Mercedes and Audi. The ones I have do not have reservoirs, I found pairs for 1600 British pounds that did have them on one site, so I would assume expense = high quality. My worry is servicing them . . . who knows, if they're really worth so much, my thought might be to sell them back to europe i.e. ebay uk etc. and use the money to buy some elkas or works. They are super sweet yet I don't want to ride them and then when I can't service them try to sell them and the price I could get now will be shot. Regardless I scored a sweet deal . . . As soon as i figure out how to post my pictures I'll post some of these shocks first.

I'm going to start uploading pics today starting with these Engans Shocks. These are actual pictures of shocks including all that I got with them. I found them for sale finally for 1100 and am going to sell this pair for a pair that better matches my blaster.

xd7eoy.jpg

abqfpl.jpg

If any one is interested in these make me an offer here

ENGANS ATV HONDA 400EX, 450R, 250R, YFZ, LTR, SHOCKS - eBay (item 190480712149 end time Jan-14-11 18:21:03 PST)

They are adjustable and could possibly work with other ATV's

Thank you for the picture tutorial

Also, I will soon be listing a ton of blaster parts that are going to be taken off my '03 to do this build.

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is what I was going to use for my front end. ASR long travels & tie rods, and streamline brakelines. I will be replacing these shocks however for a different pair that better matches the color scheme off my Blaster

2eumqm8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.