Pavement Hill Climb Tacoma , Wa

DirtDiggler

DUNEFREEK
Nov 24, 2009
Tacoma , Wa
Hey guys , I am in the works ( haven't contacted all the related parties yet ) of organizing a Hill Climb style race here in my hometown ( Tacoma , Wa ) The " Track " I have in mind is a road here called McMurray Rd. Check it out on Google maps , its a nice windy and steep road , very technical . I was thinking about setting up only for quads . A Adult and a Youth class . I think it will be raced starting going down and up twice . then once the field is narrowed it will be run down and up. fastest time wins . I'm pretty stoked about it , whether it happends or not , its worth trying , partly because there is just NO places close to ride , we have to travel pretty far for riding areas . So maybe this will work out as a exhibition thing and potentially get bigger. Has anyone here ever organized a event like this or really anything ? I just want to cover my bases and try to get some support.

your going to need a ton of insurance. major bucks, insurance will probably want an onsite ambulance which will probably run $100 an hour. if your permiting and closing a city street, there will be fees to post signage warning of the road closing beforehand as well as fees for the city crew to actually close the road and more than likely a cop at each end. Its a great idea, but you are going to need a lot of bikes entered and some serious sponsorship to make it happen.

your going to need a ton of insurance. major bucks, insurance will probably want an onsite ambulance which will probably run $100 an hour. if your permiting and closing a city street, there will be fees to post signage warning of the road closing beforehand as well as fees for the city crew to actually close the road and more than likely a cop at each end. Its a great idea, but you are going to need a lot of bikes entered and some serious sponsorship to make it happen.

I bet you left a ton of stuff out too - great idea but impractical $$$

I agree with you Phragle , thats why I'm going at it step by step , If I know it CAN be approved , then getting sponsorship will fall into place easier . Traffic Control won't be a huge issue , the signage and barricades are the responsibility of the event holder ( I work for a utility and have arranged the use of the nessecary equipment , and certified road flagger personell ) Tacoma PD has police officers that will cover events like these on a private basis , compensation isn't astronomical either . EMS I haven't checked into yet , Local fire or private company , not sure who will be cheaper. Once I get all the details from the city and make sure it can be approved ( might find out next week ) then I will start writing and calling local businesses ( radio stations , powersports shops etc ) to try and drum up the funding . The utility I work for also enjoys sponsoring public events like these to get out into the community . I think its very do-able , wouldn't waste my time if it wasn't . I kinda feel like Sal Fish , just gonna chop it up into small pieces and take care of each one individually

its that street that you have to turn right off marine view drive? and theres a cop shooting range at the bottom? that would be fun but if someone really sucked at riding and wanted to sign up and then went down a ravine that would be bad......

hey u live in south tacoma washington and there a track here its kinda closed but kindof not at the same time it is about 5 miles in area and its awsome me and my friends go there like every day