Part #16 for 88-02 stock rear brake

deeeebeeeeee

Aug 20, 2015
Rossville, Ga
Bought a blaster for the boys (10 and 13). Rear brakes were shot, cleaned everything up, got new pads and a bearing kit for the rear caliper, only to find a piece was missing. It is the piece that holds the calipers internals and keeps them from turning uselessly when the pedal is depressed, as the title states it's #16 on the microfiche.
My boys are just learning and I need them to have some sort of rear brakes (don't mind daily manual adjustment) in case they stall it on a hill, and later for the inevitable wheelie practice.
To buy it new costs about 10 times what it is worth, and I am on a budget with this one.
If anyone has that piece or the guts out of a rear caliper laying around let me know
Thanks
db

which part is it on here?

88 brake 1.jpg

Lol its not actually labeled on that image.
It is just to the left of the #14 pad set.
It fits over the three tabs on the caliper assembly, and has a tab that fit's into the inner caliper housing, it keeps the part with the pin that fits into the inner pad locked into place.
Let me see if I can find another schematic.
It is called a guide plate (plate, guide) part. No. 2xj-25689-00-00
Don't have a photo bucket account and haven't looked into uploading images here yet but here is the schematic where it is labeled as part #16.
yamahapart dot com /oemparts/a/yam/50038f5bf870021f60a0c80e/rear-brake

Can't believe the oem price, I have new pads and a bearing set, so I imagine that they might even self adjust if I could get or make this part. IF i had the measurements on it I might be able to make one from 1/8" steel plate.

But as many people here that have removed old froze up cable brakes off the back of their blasters, I got my fingers crossed that someone has one laying around.

Thanks
db

Man I must be getting old, I thought they still used microfiche everywhere.

Last edited:
Sweet speedy, your hit the spot exactly thanks for the help , and yeah 75 bucks is a little crazy for a fancy washer lo.
One could maybe cut a slice out of a pipe with a thick wall, and work up a functional part, but that mighe turn out to be quite a job without all the right tools.

that second link is where i got the pic from lol
did not post it cuz it looks like it is in united kindom.

alot of people has upgraded to a hydraulic rear brake for those years
soo if anyone had it,it would be them:)

Might have to sell one of my 3d rc helicopters, to get the conversion kit, on a pretty tight budget at the moment work is slow during the summer, a few trips out of town for repair calls, not much else till fall.

I am still needing this part if anyone has an old rear cable caliper laying around. Even if the calier is completely rusted and frozen on the inside the piece I need (it's a little locking washer thing, see above). Anyone that has an old rear caliper laying atound somewhere let me know.
I am eventually going to get hydros b/c they are easier to use and work better, but for now I just want my little guy to be comfortable riding it on hills. It's hard enough to make trails with a blaster, can even be downright dangerous because if you don't make the hill you are coming off backward.

Thanks in advance
Deebee

If you are still in need of caliper parts I have on that you can have for free....I am in Blue Ridge

I am about 45 mins east of you..Blue Ridge GA.....you can get here though Dalton to Ellijay or up the ocoee river rd

I am about 45 mins east of you..Blue Ridge GA.....you can get here though Dalton to Ellijay or up the ocoee river rd
Sweet do you have a running bike?
What all break parts did you have I found that one part but, I broke a piece ( the flat spring thing that keeps the white plastic adjuster from turning backwards.)

How far are you from Houston valley atv trails?
Where do you ride would love to come that way camp nearby for the weekend and ride.

I have an 06 race ready and a completly stock 00 as well. Mostly ride at local ohv called Davenport Mtn in blairsville and at an awsome place called rockcrusher farm in Haysville NC (its not far at all).....i have also been to moto mountain in Jasper some. I have lots of extra parts if ya need some....and i think i have everything you would need for a rear hydraulic conversation if you were interested. I also have a complete rear caliper if you need.

Never been to Houston valley....have heard alot about it. Would love to go.

I have an 06 race ready and a completly stock 00 as well. Mostly ride at local ohv called Davenport Mtn in blairsville and at an awsome place called rockcrusher farm in Haysville NC (its not far at all).....i have also been to moto mountain in Jasper some. I have lots of extra parts if ya need some....and i think i have everything you would need for a rear hydraulic conversation if you were interested. I also have a complete rear caliper if you need.

I would definitely be interested in the brake parts , as well as doing some riding. What do you want for the hydro setup? Been selling off some of my rc heli stuff to cover the rebuild on the blaster.
It looks like my 10 year old is going to get a dirt bike either a 60 with gears or a 4stroke 100.
So been putting $back for it and spending my own hobby money on the blaster.
Going to look up the riding spots you mentioned.
I like H valley it's got some nice trails and usually is almost empty in he evenings. It's on this side of Dalton, about a 30 minutei drivee for me.
I also go to prentice Cooper. It is free and has a lot of hunting/jeep trails.

Regards
Deebeee