Painted over vin

Will French

Nov 28, 2016
Taylorsville KY
I have what I believe to be a 2002 blaster and there is 2-3 coats of paint over the vin. I have heard you can take lacquer and remove the paint to view the vin. How affective is this method and is repainting required and how is it applied. Also is there any other method that works well? Thanks in advance

do you need your vin for registration purposes ?
if not don't worry about it, we can identify 88-02 or 03+ with just a few details.
if you do need it, thinner or even just sanding the paint off will work, and yes it will need repainted over or it will rust, use clear if it needs seen in the future.

I can not longer see mine as powder coated over it but got a photo of the Vin before doing it. I don't need registration over here.

You can use a can of spray stripper such as goof off pro stripper, etc etc and just spray the area where the vin # is located. That will remove the paint and get it to bare metal. Then take a piece of paper and wrap it around the vin area. Take a #2 pencil and run it over the complete area. This will give you your vin # on the piece of paper and you can repaint over it now that you have the info needed. Or just use a clear spray paint over it.