Painted Gas Tank Cover

blasta

Feb 9, 2014
Canada
So I decided to paint my gas tank cover, because why not? I started off with a base coat of Tremclad Professional (Canadian Paint Company made by Rustoleum) Gloss Black. Then went over with some Rustoleum Silver Glitter, and then finally some Rustoleum Glitter Clear Sealer for the top coat. I must also mention that I never used any adhesion promoter or plastic primer but scuffed the surface well with 320 grit sandpaper and the paint is bonding beautifully.
Screenshot_20170206-132718.png Screenshot_20170206-132908.png

Reactions: Awk08 and bummer981
It turned out really nice. I like the color! Do you think using adhesion promoter would be better? I'm thinking of painting my tank cover also.

It turned out really nice. I like the color! Do you think using adhesion promoter would be better? I'm thinking of painting my tank cover also.
Sorry, haven't been on the forum for a while. It's really hard to say whether or not adhesion promoter would make a difference on this type of thing. But if your paint surface is scuffed well, then the paint should bond just fine. I also should add that using 320 grit sandpaper like I did really isn't necessary. A scotchbrite on the plastic to scuff, would do just fine. But make sure your surface is wiped down with a degreaser or solvent before you shoot any paint.