Ok jug?

BlasterPat

Jan 8, 2016
New Jersey
Is this an ok jug for 75$ just to play around with. It's supposedly bored to a 250 but ppl say that when it's actually only .50 who knows, the inside looks descent the exterior can be cleaned easily. It's also freshly honed. Has it been ported or anything olif jot I'd like to play around with it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-11-23-08-55.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-11-23-08-55.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 154
  • Screenshot_2016-02-11-23-09-22.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-11-23-09-22.png
    1 MB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_2016-02-11-23-09-30.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-11-23-09-30.png
    965.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot_2016-02-11-23-09-37.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-11-23-09-37.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 149
I can only comment on what I can see. It is not ported. Looks to be an OEM Yamaha cylinder but you can't really tell without a side pic and seeing the Y1 logo. Also it can NOT be bored to a 250 your right, they probably mean .5 over. If the price is right to mess around with it that's up to you.. It depends what you mean when you say you want to mess with it. If doing porting for the first time I'd suggest a complete junk cylinder for like $20 to get the hang of things and how things cut and feel... Once you got the hang of it then grab like a $75 cyl and go from there. $75 seems to be about the price of an OK cylinder with some life that needs a bore and hone.. Also make sure no threads are screwed up.

Reactions: BlasterPat
Ok price for a core/project cylinder that will be sent in for a fresh bore and piston.
Using "as is"? I wouldn't. This looks like another cylinder that has been laying around on a garage shelf somewhere, that somebody ran a ball hone through, so they can sell it as "ready to go" to someone un-knowing.
A piston doesn't just get honed, and then a piston slapped in. It doesn't work that way.
Have you thought of taking the funds you were going to spend on this cylinder and applying it to the on on your blaster now? I bet it would be a safer bet.
It all depends what your plans are.

Obviously used parts aren't perfect, so here are a few other things to look for...
One of the exhaust stud threads looks almost completely stripped out. How are all the other threads...
reed cage threads, cylinder head threads, etc?
How is the base of the cylinder? Did someone pry between the base of the cylinder and engine case with two screw drivers to get the cylinder off? It looks ok, but is kind of extra bright in the flash photo.
Not the greatest photo's, but it looks like there is no port chamfering which is really bad.
jus_me is also correct... you need to make sure the Y1 logo is there, otherwise this could be another Chinese cylinder with a porous casting and sand occlusions. It looks like a well used factory Yamaha cylinder to me, but check to be sure.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlasterPat
Ok price for a core/project cylinder that will be sent in for a fresh bore and piston.
Using "as is"? I wouldn't. This looks like another cylinder that has been laying around on a garage shelf somewhere, that somebody ran a ball hone through, so they can sell it as "ready to go" to someone un-knowing.
A piston doesn't just get honed, and then a piston slapped in. It doesn't work that way.
Have you thought of taking the funds you were going to spend on this cylinder and applying it to the on on your blaster now? I bet it would be a safer bet.
It all depends what your plans are.

Obviously used parts aren't perfect, so here are a few other things to look for...
One of the exhaust stud threads looks almost completely stripped out. How are all the other threads...
reed cage threads, cylinder head threads, etc?
How is the base of the cylinder? Did someone pry between the base of the cylinder and engine case with two screw drivers to get the cylinder off? It looks ok, but is kind of extra bright in the flash photo.
Not the greatest photo's, but it looks like there is no port chamfering which is really bad.
jus_me is also correct... you need to make sure the Y1 logo is there, otherwise this could be another Chinese cylinder with a porous casting and sand occlusions. It looks like a well used factory Yamaha cylinder to me, but check to be sure.

Hope this helps.
VERY true I didn't look at it that way imma just add the 75 to a pair of nice new works shocks :)