Oil help - newbie

Ny J MoTTz

Oct 21, 2011
New York 10309
So today i plan on getting 2 cycle lucus oil for my 97 blaster thats 100% STOCK... Now the gas and oil are seprate as i have not yet mad the mod to mix them.. I know i need 2 cycle oil an i want to go with lucus brand but i was wondering how much i would need to buy and exactly where to put it lol.. Im gona drain the oil thats in the engine an change that and also since its stock i have the oil contianer under the seat do i use the same oil in both spots or what?! Lol thanks for putting up with me since im a newbie an im learning ..

Last edited:
I would buy a quart at a time and when your about half way through an oil tank buy another so your prepared to add more. (you obvoiusly dont have to fill it to the brim of the oil tank) To fill it you pop the seat off there should be a screw on cap take that off and the rubber and foam filter and pour in slowly and just look at how much youve got in the tank :D Just to be clear the engine oil is seprate you dont wanna put premix in there. Take the plastic cap off thats next to the kick starter. Then take a 14 MM socket on a 3/8's drive rachet and break it loose be shure it's clear of debris and oil arround it so you dont strip the bolt cause then you gotta have a mechanic take it off then if you strip it but it's like a 1 out of 100,000 chance you will. Anyway crack it loose take it out and drain the oil for a good 10-15 min whenever it stops trickiling out. Put the plug back in straight (so you dont cut new threads and esencially strip it however unlikely) Then pour in 350ML of your 10w-30 or 40 weight engine oil you bought I prefer Amsoil Motorcycle oil cause it's cheap and it's premium stuff. Start it up let it run at idle for 5-10 min tops turn it off so that the oil can settle, and put the rest of your 300ml of oil totaling 650 ml of oil you need or just above the middle of your sight glass. You can find it by looking at the foot peg on the kick start side and look twards the back and it should be there and thats how to do a proper oil change. But no absolutely do not use premix in the engine oil you'll ruin your motor doing that because it dosent offer the same chemical protectant your engine needs. On a side note if you decide to do premix I like to use amsoil dominator premix at 4 oz a gallon for $10 a quart. But to be honest I've never used lucas oil premix before so good luck and dont be afraid to ask questions thats why what were here for. I:I

I don't know the specs for the "Lucus" oil but whatever you use make sure you read the container to see if it is suitable for air cooled motorcycle engines.

The oils designed for mowers, chainsaws, outboards are NO good for a Blaster!

I don't know the specs for the "Lucus" oil but whatever you use make sure you read the container to see if it is suitable for air cooled motorcycle engines.

The oils designed for mowers, chainsaws, outboards are NO good for a Blaster!

what oil do you perfer? and can i use it for both the engine and the spot under the seat?

The oil under the seat is a two stroke oil used to lubricate the engine and must not be used in the transmission. The container usually states if it is suitable for your case of oil injection

Any good quality Synthetic oil will work, but beware of the cheap chainstore products.
It depends what riding you do as to the oil you choose.

I am in Australia and do not have many options of choice, but there are guys in US that can put you on to a good oil.

Transmission oil cannot be used in the tank under the seat as it is not designed to be mixed with fuel for engines.

Any 10W30 oil can be used in the gearbox, providing it does not contain any friction modifiers, as the clutch shares the same oil and will slip. Some people use trans fluid type F.

Any reputable motorcycle store will be able to put you on the right track when it comes to oils to suit your conditions..

Don't apologize for being a learner, I have been working on engines for over 50 years and there is not a week that goes by that I don't learn something new.

The oil under the seat is a two stroke oil used to lubricate the engine and must not be used in the transmission. The container usually states if it is suitable for your case of oil injection

Any good quality Synthetic oil will work, but beware of the cheap chainstore products.
It depends what riding you do as to the oil you choose.

I am in Australia and do not have many options of choice, but there are guys in US that can put you on to a good oil.

Transmission oil cannot be used in the tank under the seat as it is not designed to be mixed with fuel for engines.

Any 10W30 oil can be used in the gearbox, providing it does not contain any friction modifiers, as the clutch shares the same oil and will slip. Some people use trans fluid type F.

Any reputable motorcycle store will be able to put you on the right track when it comes to oils to suit your conditions..

Don't apologize for being a learner, I have been working on engines for over 50 years and there is not a week that goes by that I don't learn something new.

Okay let me get this straight in baby-terms hahah.. the oil under my seat must be 2 stroke(2 cycle oil) and then the oil that goes in the transmission(engine bay) is different? 10w30? so im buying 2 separate bottles of oil.. rite?

Okay let me get this straight in baby-terms hahah.. the oil under my seat must be 2 stroke(2 cycle oil) and then the oil that goes in the transmission(engine bay) is different? 10w30? so im buying 2 separate bottles of oil.. rite?

Oil under the seat must be 2-cycle (preferably high quality semi-synthetic or full synth). If you do the injector block-off and intend to ride in cold weather, use the semi-synthetic so it doesn't separate out in cold weather when you premix your gas.

Oil in the crankcase should be 80w motorcycle gear/transmission oil. This oil is lubes the tranny gears and your clutch plates and fibers. I use Maxima brand oils and it's never let me down.

If you wanna get rid of the oil injection (plan on it), this thread will walk you through it step-by-step. Just read through the thing to see where the nipples on the carb go and a few other details:

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/injector-block-off-clean-3-a-31229/

You don't have to remove both gears in the thread, just one will do. I don't recommend opening the clutch cover (for the white gear) unless you have to. follow the pics and instructions and you can be done in under an hour without even draining your oil.

Welcome to the forum, there's lots of good people on here who'll be happy to help you. I:I

Oil under the seat must be 2-cycle (preferably high quality semi-synthetic or full synth). If you do the injector block-off and intend to ride in cold weather, use the semi-synthetic so it doesn't separate out in cold weather when you premix your gas.

Oil in the crankcase should be 80w motorcycle gear/transmission oil. This oil is lubes the tranny gears and your clutch plates and fibers. I use Maxima brand oils and it's never let me down.

If you wanna get rid of the oil injection (plan on it), this thread will walk you through it step-by-step. Just read through the thing to see where the nipples on the carb go and a few other details:

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/injector-block-off-clean-3-a-31229/

You don't have to remove both gears in the thread, just one will do. I don't recommend opening the clutch cover (for the white gear) unless you have to. follow the pics and instructions and you can be done in under an hour without even draining your oil.

Welcome to the forum, there's lots of good people on here who'll be happy to help you. I:I

okay so under my seat the oil im going with is Lucus 2 cycle oil .. is this good for under the seat ?
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

&

Now your telling me to use 80w in the crank shaft? the guy above me told me 10w30 or 10w40 ... exactly what should i use ?

Thanks for the reply's !! Youz are all helping me out a bunch !!B)

Last edited by a moderator:
dude you want gear oil for the trans aka motor of your blaster 80w will work fine if you live in the deep south like me a 75-90w will work as well, you only add 2 stroke under the seat hope this helps you

You need two separate bottles of oil, one for the tank under the seat, which is injected into the engine through the carby. This oil must be suitable for air cooled motorcycles, not mowers, chainsaws or outboards.

Not being a resident of US I am not sure what oils are available there but some fellas on the forum rave about how good "Amsoil" is, maybe somebody can put you straight on that point.
Yamalube 2 is a good choice for a stock machine.

I do not like the look of the Lucas 2 stroke oil as the label is not very informative and it is a little cheap for my liking.

The other bottle of oil is for the gearbox.

Muggsy may have put you on the wrong track when he said " Oil in the crankcase should be 80w motorcycle gear/transmission oil." ----- You don't put any oil in the crankcase, He meant the gearbox!
Thats the filler on the engine.

If I read the blurb on the Lucas 10043 oil correctly, it "Contains special anti-wear and lubricity agents" which to me are friction modifiers, a definite NO NO in any wet clutch situations.

The Yamaha manual states that Yamalube 4 10W30, or type SE motor oil should be used, any good motorcycle shop will stock oil suitable for your transmission with a wet clutch.

Some guys use Auto trans fluid type F in the transmission with great success.

Last edited:
F**K !!! is the Castrol 4T 4 stroke Motorcycle oil the wrong oil for my blaster? i told the guy exactly what i needed and what it was for and didnt bother to look till i got home and now i see on the castrol bottle it says 4 stroke ... can i use this oil or i have to return it in the morning ?

As long as it's 10W-30 or 40 your in the clear. There is no difference in 4 and 2 stroke clutch/engine oil's except in how much you need. I wouldent worry but do it in stages like I said when adding it in pour 300ML in then run it for 5 min to get the oil to settle to the bottom then add the rest of your 350ML totaling 650ML you need and your good to go for 2 years. Enjoy it :D

As long as it's 10W-30 or 40 your in the clear. There is no difference in 4 and 2 stroke clutch/engine oil's except in how much you need. I wouldent worry but do it in stages like I said when adding it in pour 300ML in then run it for 5 min to get the oil to settle to the bottom then add the rest of your 350ML totaling 650ML you need and your good to go for 2 years. Enjoy it :D

THANKS BRO !!
You helped me out a lot and your very clear if i ever have any problems ill message you , thanks again ...I:I

okay so under my seat the oil im going with is Lucus 2 cycle oil .. is this good for under the seat ?
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Now your telling me to use 80w in the crank shaft? the guy above me told me 10w30 or 10w40 ... exactly what should i use ?

Thanks for the reply's !! Youz are all helping me out a bunch !!B)

I stand corrected, the 80W tranny oil goes in the gear case, definitely not the crankcase. And yes, type F tranny fluid is used very succesfully, but the people I know that use it also change it very frequently. Blaaster is correct about the modifiers, which is why I said 80W tranny oil.

Sorry but I'd never run 10w30 or 10w40 in the transmission/clutch. It takes WAY too much of a beating in the clutch. Nor should you ever intentionally run the tranny with less than half the oil (300ml) as someone in a previous post suggested. I noticed you're in NY so you're probably not riding on a track where you're steps from help. If you want that engine to last a long time and be reliable when you're in the woods miles from home, then be cautious and use the most conservative options. Stick to the oil in the quotes above. They're definitely the best option. You should be able to find a local power sports shop that has the stuff or similar on the shelf.

Last edited by a moderator: