Nothing super thrilling - DC conversion/LED lights

dirtydeezl

Jun 23, 2015
I just ordered a rec/reg (up to 180 watts) and some cheapy led lights (4 pcs 2" 10watt each, supposedly up to 1000 lumens per) off ebay. And with my new found knowledge I will be getting a battery soon and trying my hand at a low budget led light build soon.
I'm considering even trying my hand at laying my own fiberglass pod to mount the lights in. I'll update as I go once the I get all the parts.
Screenshot_2017-01-21-17-30-36.png
Screenshot_2017-01-21-17-29-25.png

Nice! I was looking at those nicely priced rec/reg when i was doing my led swap, but ended up spending BIG $$$ on mine because i wasn't sure on the wiring of the cheap ones.

Please let us know how you wire it up and how well it works, because a rec/reg like that can save some people lots of $$.

Reactions: Awk08
I looked and looked until I found one that wasn't one of those GY6 scooter rec/reg. I wouldn't bother with one of those. But here's the write up on the one I ordered. I'll certainly keep you guys up on any progress or failure. Thanks for your interest. I'm certainly always open to input as well. I'm here to learn.
Screenshot_2017-01-21-18-04-41_1.jpg

Reactions: Awk08
The best part about cheap eBay electronics is... they're cheap! The worst thing is... yep, they're cheap :)

I love my cheap eBay electronics. I find if you don't expect them to deliver the full rated voltage/current, then they'll last just as long as any other. The sellers usually state the absolute MAX ratings of the unit though, so if you tried to run it at that rating it would last about 10ms before it failed in spectacular fashion. Knowing that though, you've won half the war... Just get a 200W unit if you need 100W and you'll be fine.

I stuck a normal AC rectifier into my Blaster for the LED brake light (My brake light cracked and I couldn't find a replacement). It cost equivalent of about $2 from an industrial supplier for a 60A rectifier. I didn't bother with a filter capacitor, and the full wave rectification brings the voltage to just over 12VDC (although it fluctuates a bit as the engine RPMs increase).

Perfect? Not by a long shot, but it's worked fine for 2 years :)

Let us know how that regulator works out!

Reactions: Larry's Shee
I certainly don't have high hopes, lol. I'm testing the waters with cheap stuff to make sure. my theory and execution are proper. If it lasts more than a month I'll figure I did it right and will be comfortable going for the expensive stuff. Lol.

Reactions: MR_Effing_Rose