No Clutch?

burndout

Jan 23, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Went to pick up my newly ordered clutch cable bracket (the one that bolts to the jug) and the local dealer ordered the wrong part and had NO idea what part I was talking about. After 20 minutes looking through their computer I just went home and took a picture of the wife's. While i was there i noticed i could not move the clutch arm by hand, on my 240 i can. I have never ran this motor, picked it up in a trade and built it from there. My question is that with the clutch cover off should i be able to see the clutch move when i move the arm? its really easy too and nothing moves within the clutch, what to look for/take apart, ive never done a clutch on a blasty before, thanks!

It sounds to me like there may be a push rod and ball bearing missing because you should not be able to move that clutch arm by hand at all with the clutch basket attached!

It sounds to me like there may be a push rod and ball bearing missing because you should not be able to move that clutch arm by hand at all with the clutch basket attached!

Damn, I'm gonna start calling you Lightening for your quick responses!!

Any ways, so from looking at it i would pull the entire clutch right, there should be a rod from the arm to the clutch?

i had the same problem when i took out the clutch to replace crank seals. on the pressure plate there is a dot or somethign that cooresponds to another dot on the drum, make sure that is lined up because if its not the plate wont push on the friction plates and wont do anything. also, in the middle of the pressure plate, there is a single screw with a nut on it. on the other side of it there is another nut that sits in the pressure plate and it holds it in place to adjust it. make sure that the nut on this rod is in the nut shaped groove on the back. finally, try squeezing the lever and seeing if the bolt in the middle accually moves. if it does put the pressure plact and springs back on and just adjust the nut and screw on the outside to get it set right. also check that there is a ball bearing behind the rod. make sure the nut on the outside is tight enough that it wont unscrew. it did on mine when i popped the clutch running from the cops. bad time for the clutch to not work. hope this helps!! if i did a bad job explaining this just pull off the pressure plate and youll see exactly how it works

Well looks like im pulling the clutch today or tomorrow, i pulled the oem diagram from bike bandit, seems pretty straight forward. Blastermaster, thanks for the heads up on the dots, its dark out today and darker in the shop and i may have missed those. ill let you know what i find, hopefully i dont have to buy anything!

IF you can move the clutch arm by hand, I'm willing to bet that there is a part missing or that it is waaaaaay out of adjustment. Once properly adjusted should be very little movement less than 1/16".

Ok I got it all aprt, the dots are lined up but the rod and nut with the plate needs to sit against the pressure plate right? If so the little nut wont thread on so I think im missing the ball bearing, will any ball work aslong as it fits?

I have used a ball bearing from ace hardware in a pinch. I don't remember the size I used however, I THINK it might have been a 3/16" polished BB. You have to make SURE the BB isn't in there. Tip the quad over on it's side to shake the inner rod out if you have to. If you put two BB's in there it'll tear the inside of the input shaft up and weld the whole assembly in there.

Ok I got it all aprt, the dots are lined up but the rod and nut with the plate needs to sit against the pressure plate right? If so the little nut wont thread on so I think im missing the ball bearing, will any ball work aslong as it fits?

Like sicivic said, make sure there is another unthreaded rod and a BB in there. Also there should be a nut on the inside of the pressure plate too, I may have a spare one of those if your missing it. -Slick

When I put the pressure plate on and adjust the center rod down to where there is min movement on the clutch arm the center rod with the philips end is in too far to put the nut back on to lock it in. It needs to cover all the threads in the nut correct? Also should I be adjusting with the springs in? Maybe thats my problem, I got to thinking about it and I would have to for enough pressure on the clutch to engage correct?

Well that's my problem then. I guess you could say this grasshopper is starting to sprout some wings! Thanks for the input, ill get some work done tonight and let you know how it goes..

When I put the pressure plate on and adjust the center rod down to where there is min movement on the clutch arm the center rod with the philips end is in too far to put the nut back on to lock it in. It needs to cover all the threads in the nut correct? Also should I be adjusting with the springs in? Maybe thats my problem, I got to thinking about it and I would have to for enough pressure on the clutch to engage correct?

Ya bro, I just got a laugh at that one! Put the clutch back together with all springs, but remove the cable from the arm.

Ok, I got the basket off and now noticed that the star is not fully engageing. I can shift down once and the spring loaded wheel is not spinning the star into the next gear and the arm that spins. The star wont reach the next stud to go up or down. On my spare motor I can spin the star by hand through all the gears but not on the 240. Is this due to no oil since the case is off or bigger issues?
Andwith the disks in and basket nut on but without the pressure plate should you be able to spin the inner clutch? Seems like the basket nut is holding everything together and yes the spacer is in between the basket and inner drum. I know newbie questions but I've never done a clutch before, thanks!

The transmission is a "square dog" type engagement transmission similar to most motorcycles. The input shaft has to be spinning for the engagement dogs to align. The transmission will "clunk" into first and possibly second only but the other gears, the transmission shafts have to be turning (just as they would be if you were riding it although not as fast on the work bench). Just turn the shaft and it should shift through each gear.

If it still won't shift, there may be some internal problems to the transmission. You may need to split cases to repair it.

Andwith the disks in and basket nut on but without the pressure plate should you be able to spin the inner clutch? Seems like the basket nut is holding everything together and yes the spacer is in between the basket and inner drum. I know newbie questions but I've never done a clutch before, thanks!

If it is in neutral, the inner basket should spin (not with the friction plates in however take them out! If it's not, I will tell you what happened to me, I had a similar issue and found that the two washers, that go behind the outer basket, the thicker one was not the right size (thickness) and when I torqued the center nut down it was keeping the inner basket from turning. There are two washers one is super thin and beveled that goes on the shaft first with the bevel (hump) facing you, then the larger (thicker one goes next flatter side towards the motor). I don't know why the motor had the wrong thickness of washer on it but it did, KEN-Oconner helped me figure this out, one evening on the phone- he was able to figure out what the heck the issue was, but now with the correct washer I have no issues!!

The transmission is a "square dog" type engagement transmission similar to most motorcycles. The input shaft has to be spinning for the engagement dogs to align. The transmission will "clunk" into first and possibly second only but the other gears, the transmission shafts have to be turning (just as they would be if you were riding it although not as fast on the work bench). Just turn the shaft and it should shift through each gear.

If it still won't shift, there may be some internal problems to the transmission. You may need to split cases to repair it.

Im gonna pull the chain and see if that helps, the spare motor i can feel it shift but the 240 doesnt move, just first gear - even spinning the rear tires. This was my biggest fear when building it was that the tranny was bad and i didnt have a place or space to split the case.

So, when i spin the front sprocket i should be able to hit all the gears correct? And why is the shift star spring loaded wheel roller not spinning the shift star to the correct position? I took it off, cleaned it, rolls good (for no bearings) and the spring pressure is tight. With it off should i be able to spin the star through all gears? This things is a money PIT!