new top end help please

jaywood

Feb 28, 2018
Ok so my friend got a blaster after he tried mine, damn thing has been temperamental since, after frying the rings and piston it now has a whole new top end on it. Well now the prob is it smokes like hell (worse than me) and won't hit power band. Btw have a few heat cycles on it over the course of the day today. Any advice on what to check first would be great!! Thank you as always!!!!

Didn't think it was going to be necessary as the damn thing ran great until he smoked the piston and rings. Looks like I'm gonna have to make a leak down tester. Thanks

Don't matter. A leak test should be done anytime you have the top end off, before you even start it, anyamost sudden running issues - especially high revs/ runaway, or excessive smoke. It's actually recommended yearly as a maintenance procedure.

Why did it happen after new top end? Who knows ? Maybe better compression causing higher vacuum on lower end? Maybe crank seal leak caused the melt down?
I also advise doing a test before tearing it down to possibly determine WHY it blew up.

IMG_20180811_142407.jpg
If a crank seal caused ring failure without excessive smoke then I'd be shocked

So after he brought the motor back to my shop for me to get into and after changing the crank seals with no positive change in anything I tore it back down to find a nice hole in the left case. Anybody have a left case for sale?
IMG_20180904_163041.jpg

Yea I'll be honest when he got it on trade for his warrior I advised him compression was low, he decided to run it anyway ( which is his thing I guess) so from what I can see the piston and rings had alot of abuse on them (as shown by the way the rings shifted) now he's got a fresh top end with a bad case lol

I have a product at work called quick steal, I've been seriously contemplating that, but unsure due to the rating of about 300 degrees I believe. I've never actually taken my infrared heat gun to a hot motor to see what they typically run at temperature wise

So we decided gonna give the jb weld and fiberglass mesh a try, do the stator screws go into the right case?

I did, and I like how he drops in yearly to let everyone know that it's still running great. And that was my argument with my buddy, what does he have to lose right now

So this is beyond my jb weld experience. Actually had a Craigslist deal go well for once, he was able to score a left case for $100.

Attachments

• IMG_20180908_182800.jpg
    IMG_20180908_182800.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 123