New shocks

82cutty

Mar 20, 2015
Buffalo N.Y.
Decided I needed to get some different shocks...we all know the stockers are crap . Did some searching on ebay a few weeks ago and picked up some 14.5 inch fox shocks off a sled . They're from a 92 Arctic cat ext special . They came in earlier in the week and look like new...pretty good shape . Brought them to the sled shop yesterday to get recharged anyway . Got them back this afternoon and installed them tonight . Seem really nice...cant wait to take it for a ride tomorrow .

IMG_20150508_224806_693_zps1npbdkk2.jpg
IMG_20150508_235249_603_zpsg8pa7yad.jpg
IMG_20150508_235217_947_zpshmvtpac1.jpg

Curious as to how they are going to ride. Look forward to hearing you ride report and I'll be tuned it!

They're softer that the stockers and compress about a 1in. when I sit on it . I weight 175 . Should be great for trail riding. I can still adjust spring tension about 6 threads . I'll update tomorrow

Looking frwrd to the ride report. I looked into sled shocks a while back and never had a chance to try them. Interesting on how the spring is wound with the tighter on the bottom. I am used to seeing it the other way around where it is tight on the top and wider at the bottom. You def have them mounted correctly though. The bushing width and all was correct, no extra washers or anything needed? All info would be good in order to help others looking for a shock upgrade..

Looking frwrd to the ride report. I looked into sled shocks a while back and never had a chance to try them. Interesting on how the spring is wound with the tighter on the bottom. I am used to seeing it the other way around where it is tight on the top and wider at the bottom. You def have them mounted correctly though. The bushing width and all was correct, no extra washers or anything needed? All info would be good in order to help others looking for a shock upgrade..

The bushing that came with the shocks was for a 3/8 bolt . I took them out and bought 2 stabilizer bushing kits for a car . Part number SL69 from autozone . Cost $4 . They have a 2.5in bushing for a 10mm bolt...size of the stock shock bolt . I cut the bushing in half and then drilled out 8 washers that would slide over the new bushings . Put 2 washers on the inside of the shock mount . Top and bottom . Need a 9/16 drill bit

Reactions: jus_me
Good luck on the ride tmrw and be safe.. Let us knw how things turn out. Good or bad fill us in.

Ride update...just got back from a 1.5 hour ride . Took it easy at first to see how they would react , then hit the railroad bed for a few miles . Pretty rocky and bumpy . Took rocks nice...handled good . Much better than the stockers . Then I took it on the powerline for a good 45 min. Started to get on it pretty good...Handled nice still getting used to it being softer than the hard rock like stockers . I was riding much more aggressive...flying around turns and hitting rough patches much faster than before . They made the bike a lot more fun to ride . Only negative is that the springs are a tad soft...they're 23 years old . I got some air a few times...couple feet landed nice . I also did a couple high speed stops to see how they would react...the front end dips a little but not to bad . I'm going to try to find some different springs to make them a little stiffer . All in all I'm pretty happy with the results . Pretty nice for trail riding. I think they would be a little soft for taking big jumps or if your over 200 pounds without a spring upgrade . I only have $120 into these now . I'm going to look for some new springs and try to dial these in .

Found some brand new old stock springs on ebay for $40 . For a 96 arctic cat ext . Same height as the 92 springs on my shocks and have a higher spring rate . They're crappy arctic cat green though lol . If they work out
I'll get them powder coated . Hopefully I get them by the end of the week...update when installed

Have you ever had any shocks on your blaster besides these and stock? It'd be nice to have something else to compare it to. But it sounds like this may be a great new alternative!

No just the stockers and these. I can't see paying $1000 for shocks . Fox makes great shocks...I'll get these to work great for less than $200 . Yeah I'm trying to make a nice low buck alternative for people that can do the work themselves . New springs should be here tomorrow and will update

Have you ever had any shocks on your blaster besides these and stock? It'd be nice to have something else to compare it to. But it sounds like this may be a great new alternative!

Nothing new here, I've mentioned it many times over the last few years. Mid 90's sno pro 440 are about the best. Obviosly the bigger the sled the heavier the springs will be. I think some polaris use a 14 1/2 shock. Unless uber cheap don't bother with the Ryde FX shocks.

Now that I'm old (42)...well not that old and 3 back surgeries later I need some suspension lol . So Fox shocks off of a sled was the first thing I thought of after I took the blaster for the first ride a little over a month ago . Awful harsh like the 3 wheelers form the early 80's with no shocks . And there's no way I'm paying what they want for the aftermarket shocks...they cost more than the bikes . Fox made a ton of shocks over the years for sleds so I knew there would some that would fit the blasters . So I did some searching on the forum to see If anyone did it . I seen a couple of your posts Larry and started looking for some sno pro 440 shocks . There were only a few sets on ebay when I was looking . The few sets on there were 16.5 inches . I found a few sets from Polaris that would fit but they looked like junk . I even know a few guys that have fox sled shocks on their motorcycles . The new springs will be in tomorrow...I'll post an update

Still, less than $200 into shocks ain't bad. Hard to find used works for much less than that.

FYI , Banshee and Warrior shocks are near same length as Blaster if someone runs acrossed a used set of aftermarket shocks.

FYI 2: Be very cautious of buying shocks that need new bushings. Those can add up real fast. Do your research BEFORE buying.