New owner....used Blaster!

Coralkong

Jan 2, 2012
Hello everyone!

I just bought my 16 year old son a 2005 (could be a '04) Blaster that still has the stock back wheels/tires on it.

The tires are beat and need to be replaced (Cheng Shin) 21x10-8's.
Rims are in excellent shape, but tires are almost bald.

Here's my question:

I see there appears to be very little in the way of selection for 21X10-8 replacement tires (exact size replacement).

HOWEVER, I also see tons of replacements that are CLOSE in size (say 20X10-8, or even, 20X11-8's, 20X11-9's if I wanted to replace the rims.....).

Can you "drop in" replace 20X11-8's or do you NEED to buy new rims to do that? (In other words, will a 20-11-8 fit on a 21x10-8 stock rim?)

I am looking at Kenda Cutter tires, btw....or should I just eat it and replace the rims with the new tire purchase?
Will I need to widen the axels with spacers if I do this?

Sorry, but I am a noob.

Any tire will fit as long as it is for an 8 inch rim. So you have 21x10x8, as long as that 8 stays constant, you can get almost any size for the first two numbers. If you want to switch to 9 inch rims, you can buy Yamaha Warrior rims and hubs, that will bolt right onto the blaster axle. Does that make sense?

Welcome to the dirt pile! You came to the right place.

Yes, the tires you're looking at will fit the stock rims. You don't get many tire choices with the blaster rear rims. A good option is to get some rear hubs from a banshee, raptor, warrior or yfz. Then get some rear rims to fit these hubs and you'll have a ton more tire & rim options.

I originally bought some 20x11-8 ITP's that worked great for the blaster....but then I found a set of YFZ rear hubs and rims/tires for a good price and made the switch.

Just a thought.....

Thanks, guys!

It does make sense, the "8" in 21x10-8 meaning 8" rim.

So it really doesn't matter if it is 20x11-8, they should fit?

I guess the reason I am asking is that there only appears to be about an inch from the inner edge of the rear (stock) tire and the footwell peg support (black plastic thingie where your heel goes).

I know (or guess,) I could pay for new rims with the new tires, but that seems like kind of a waste.

We have some other parts to buy, but I just bought the thing, so want to get it "whole and functional" without going ape right off the bat.

This will be for general trail riding (at first, anyway), but I want to try to get "good" tires, but can see where wider (11 vs 10 wide) would be beneficial. Especially since the stock tires (Cheng Shin) seem to only get about 5 inches of ground contact out of the 10" rating, and they're bald....

They got you set up on tire info so all I can add is, Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, I've been lurking here for about a week, and I am sure I'll have some questions you guys think are pretty dumb....but we're new to this whole ATV thing.

Hey, at least I'm honest!

:)

Thanks, I've been lurking here for about a week, and I am sure I'll have some questions you guys think are pretty dumb....but we're new to this whole ATV thing.

Hey, at least I'm honest!

:)

Slot of us enjoy helping out new members. The stickys at the top of each section have a lot of useful info.

Alot of us guys run 20's they are awesome! The stock ballon tires will only give you a few inches of usable surface, Once you get into the more "squarish" tires razors, holeshots, shredders you'll get that 10" Oh and only 4-6psi max they'll wear good, one more suggestion get 6ply if ya can spring the extra $$, really resist the annoying sidewall damage we get and are much better puncture resistant!

Welcome to sickness!

I'm currently running these 22x12-8 on one of our blaster's. Not sure if I bought them from this link, it's just for example.

ATV Tires - Kenda Bear Claw Tires

They are 6-ply, give plenty of ground clearance being 22's but they are pretty stiff even with very little air in them (my tire gauge wont register as low as I have them). I like them but they are a bit rough riding on the rocky trails.

Here they are on the 2003
IMG_1382.jpg

On my blaster i have mud lites and they are a good tire ...but on my brothers kfx400 he has kenda claws and they are a very light tire and go through more mud than mine do.

Banshee, warrior, yfz, raptor hubs all fit blaster axle. Then you can pick up some good 9" rims/tires off CL/Egay. Far greater selection of 9" tires