new carb questions

jaywood

Feb 28, 2018
So I have my 05 and I did the tors removal on it and am also putting a new carb on it today after work, can anyone tell me a good starting point for the slide adjustment? I'm asking cause I did the new cap and cable as well and just want a good starting point to get it running then tune from there. Thanks

Middle clip on needle. Adjuster on top is only for taking slack out of the cable. Just a little play in cable. Air screw 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated.

Did all that it fired up but then stalled along with a couple of backfires, not sure where to go from here

Yes properly eliminated, as for testing the stator do you have any good info for that? I googled it but got nowhere for the 03+ models.

I don't have the manual for it, and i tried to download the manual from this site and it just looks like a bunch of Chinese symbols and useless crap.

Idle adjusting.
Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain
when the screw is cracked open.
Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.
Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of
unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.
Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+
Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.
Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.
Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .
if the air screw ends up being more than 2 1/2 turns out the pi;]lot is too big.
if the air screw is less than 1/2 a turn out the pilot is too small

Reactions: jaywood
Ok did all that, still won't start, I am suspect of the flywheel key at this point, puller will be arriving today in the mail. Will let you know what I find after work. Thanks for all the help

Be sure to remove the washer under nut before using puller. Thread center bolt almost out before threading it into flywheel. Won't hurt to check the key, if all is well start checking electrical. Have you checked for spark after it stalled?

Ok so I pulled the flywheel, key seemed ok everything else looked good, carefully put everything back together made sure I had fuel flowing freely from float bowl (had alot of air in it) after bleeding it like that it fired first kick and stayed running, seems like I just need to tune now. Thanks for all the help

Sounds like the float may have been stuck closed. If you haven't cleaned carb, do so. Otherwise just keep an eye on it. If you have same problem again tap float bowl with screwdriver handle or similar.
Thanks for posting remidy :cool:

I don't know if I would call it a remedy as this damn thing had me beating my head off the wall, may just be a stroke of some kind of luck , But either way it's running really good at this point and I can't complain

Reactions: Larry's Shee