New Blaster strip and rebuild in the UK

StevieN

Aug 11, 2012
Glasgow Scotland
Hey got myself a 2004 Blaster last week and have decided to try and make it look as good as i can, i will post pics of this for everyone to see the progress, this is how it looked when i picked it up last week IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

The quad needs alot of work for me to get it were i want it to be, started the strip taking longer than i thought as i have never done anythin like this before so it new to me! i have messed about with bikes in the past but never in this scale lol! so here goes!!IMG_1380.jpg

Ok so plastics, tank, seat, carb etc are all off now its time to start on the frame as i said i started this last week so i am posting pics of work i have already done ;-) so time for the engine, axle, brakes, pegs, a-arms shocks to be removed so all we'r left with is a bare frame, not as bad as i thought so far, just been tagging and bagging every nut, screw and bolt

no better way to learn these machines than a full tear down and rebuild !
you'll get to bypass the bag-n-tag next go round, as you'll know your blaster ...every nut and bolt

keep them pics coming as it progresses !!!!!

professional ac jack ftw!!!!!

Thats some serious tools your working with =))))

On the mountian it was the log lifts lmao.

An i belive it might be a little bent but nice work one week with the blaster an you have stripped it

Haha ye its just the way its sitting! waiting on my jack so a old microwave will do for now lol!

So thats it fully stripped and getting ready to send for powder coating(think i am going with, Frame, swing arm and wheel hubs KTM Orange, Brakes, handle bars, A-arms and axle Gloss Black and grab bar, front bumper and exhaust Chrome

New parts ordered so far are

K&N Air filter
YZF450 Front Shocks
YZF450 Rear Shock
HERRMANN LONG TRAVEL A ARM KIT BLACK

Thats what i have ordered so farIMG_1395.jpg

Ahh felling pretty stupid it is a microwave.. but that sounds like some pretty serious colors the orage will stand out from the black nice... an crome for a finish.. What color plastics ya thinkiing...

An you get the bushing kit for that rear shock?

Ahh felling pretty stupid it is a microwave.. but that sounds like some pretty serious colors the orage will stand out from the black nice... an crome for a finish.. What color plastics ya thinkiing...

An you get the bushing kit for that rear shock?

Am thinking Black plastics, think it will work well together! also stripping the shocks, doing the shock jet black and the spring orange! a guy over here is making me bushings for the rear, does ken oconnor do the bushing for the yfz450 rear sock to suit the Blaster std swing arm??

got all my shocks yesterday! YFZ450 rear YFZ450 front shocks.

Needing a bit of help was just about to order a set of Herrmann A-arms but relly not sure if they will be good enough, dont want to spend £320 on a set if they dont suit the quad and YFZ shock, can anyone tell me if they will be ok? as the guy thats is selling them cant really tell me much about them. my first choice was a set of ASR A-arms but a dont want to get hit with import tax, i can buy them on ebay,
Blaster +3 up 1 Long Travel Racing A-Arm BLACK by American Star
US $417.95
Approximately £264.29
US $122.70
approx. £77.59 USPS Express Mail

Also can anyone tell me if i will need the long brake hoses for the ASR arms?

PS dont mind spending a bit more to get the right product!!

Any advice on what A-arms to get and best set would be great.

Small update, frame, wheel hubs, brakes, swing arm, handle bars etc etc all away for powder coating should be done for Friday :) (went with the Black and Orange)

Managed to source a set of Herrmann long travel A-arms that fit up nice with my YFZ450 long 18 1/4 shocks only +1.5" per side but that will need to do for now, still should be good handling gained from them, also purchased 2" wheel spacers for back wheels(also away for powder coating) so should be sitting at a nice width!

Got a vito's block off kit in today too!

Shocks getting stripped at the weekend so they can get powder coated also(spring orange, shock body gloss black)

Pictures as soon as i get the parts back(Friday i hope) i know its only been 2 weeks but its not happening fast enough lol!!

Cant wait to start putting it back togetherI:I

Ok so not getting frame and rest of parts back till during the week :-(

Took the engine in for a total rebuild today, not sure what upgrades to do to it yet got a few things in mind tho

For one its getting totally stripped and rebuilt, full bottom end rebuild, oil injection block off, vapor blast and the head skimmed so far but not sure about a rebore or anything else yet!

Shocks are also getting springs removed for powder coating

Pictures coming soon!

Most of the parts i need to buy are coming from the USA from RockmountainATV has anyone purchased from them?? They have some nice stuff!

Thanks mate, ye they have some very nice stuff just a pity its going to cost me alot for delivery and import! but am sure it will be worth it when the quad starts to come together

SteveN

Ok so managed to get some pictures
tonight nothing much tho! exhaust is goin away for a full clean and polish

Shocks spring stripped and away for powder coating

Rear YFZ450 2006 Front YFZ450R 2009

Rear shock body is going to be Black with orange spring

Front shocks i was thinking of keeping the gold and silver body and doing the spring jet black

What you's think???IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

lots of nice parts and color scheme coming to this one !

try this instead of uploading pics to here directly, your pics will appear full size when you post the .IMG code into your post,

http://www.blasterforum.com/pics-vi...yone-easiest-way-upload-pictures-thread-5612/

then your pics will show up like this...........

23ifq75.jpg

i had to get the "atv jack" LOL..........

2dgruvm.jpg

So got my frame etc back from powder coating today and its looking great still got a few bits to get but here's what i have so far
2evxgkn.jpg
29mwyef.jpg
97v1ub.jpg
2r6i64g.jpg
2cffbwn.jpg
rkd0ft.jpg

Here is the black parts
k3exl.jpg
1olx74.jpg
n439f.jpg
11hszo8.jpg