new and confused

88blaster87

Dec 19, 2014
I took an 88 blaster on trade, and it doesn't start. I have checked everything that was listed in the Haynes Blaster owners workshop manual chapter 4 ignition and electrical systems. I found that the ignition coil was out of spec, the spark plug boot was out of spec, and the pickup coil was out of spec. The manual that I was using says the pick up coil should read 72-108 ohms, it read 20. I came on this forum and read a few post about ignition system issues that some are having and read where the pick up coil should read between 19 and 24. What am I supposed to believe? please help.

i'm seeing 72-108 in the ignition troubleshooting guide from the manual we have on here
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/ignition-troubleshooting-88-02.46159/

6-jpg.9098

did person before you tell you if they replace any electrical parts?
im guessing plug,grounded to side of cylinder...is not producing spark?
what have you tried except ohm specs?

ignition coil specs were out of range, I changed that and the spark plug and spark plug wire and boot. Owner said it quit running as he was riding it and he didn't do anything to it. TORS has been removed before I got it.

ignition coil specs were out of range, I changed that and the spark plug and spark plug wire and boot.

I know this thread is called "new and confused" but......

it's certain STATORS that have a bad reputation, specifically... chinese and ricky stator brands.
NOT IGNITION COILS.

If one wishes to be technical, the terminology stator refers to the complete stator assembly.

The component in question is listed in the Yamaha service manual as a source coil, not a stator!

There are 3 COILS on the stator assembly, the source COIL which supplies the ignition, the pickup COIL which tells the CDI unit to fire and the lighting COIL which supplies the lighting.

there is tons of threads on these same problems,maybe read them and decide for yourself,
?do you know if it was even an oem stator to start with?,or does it have a adjustable plate?
4 wires or 5 wires??on stator
fresh batteries in your multimeter?
got pics?
got a compression test?
is there a key,and kill switch??
enlighten us lol

I haven't had much experience with the quads on elec problems yet, but I can say I've gotten 4 new alternators in a row from auto parts for my truck and every one of em was bad. Lesson is you never know, electrical parts can be tricky, especially is they were built on a fri or mon lol

I'm new because I've never owned a quad and confused because of what I'm reading here on the forum and in the repair manual I got from the library. One of the links above states that the pickup coil resistance should be 72-108 ohms, another link says the same pickup coil should read 16-24. the book says 72-108, my p/u coil reads 20, that's why I'm confused. can someone help clarify this. don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the the replys I've got to my question, just can't figure out which way to go. thanks..........................AL

Well here's mine. I'm pretty sure I downloaded it from here when I first joined, but its different from what awk is showing??
upload_2014-12-22_19-48-22.png

thanks, The book says to check all electrical connections so tomorrow I'm going to do that. I have someone interested in the blaster and I want him to get it in running condition. thanks again

Make sure the TORS brain under the hood is unplugged. Try unplugging the kill switch and the key switch. It should run with all of that unplugged.