need to change clutch cable. is it hard 2 do?

devin98

Jun 4, 2011
today my clutch cable snapped apart and im getting a new one. ive never installed one before. is it very eassy or hard to do.? im just looking for advice so i dont mess it up.

here is a really simple thing to do. get some tape. then take the new cable and put it against the old cable tape it together then pull the cable from the other end. it gets it routed right and its easy

.... most come with new cable sheaths so it's not necessary to pull the new cable through the old sheath.

I've got what I think is the easiest way to do it... take my advice or not, the clutch cable isn't difficult and you'll figure it out...

Remove the bolt through the clutch handle.
Pull the clutch handle out of the perch.
Slide clutch lever off the "barrel" and old cable.
Discard the old cable.
Go down to left side of the engine and bend open the "tab" that holds the cable end into the clutch arm.
Pull the cable down towards the back of the quad until the "head" will come out of the clutch arm.
Pull the cable backwards through the "holder" until it's free of the engine.
Pull the cable sheath out of the adjuster up on the perch and pull the entire cable out guiding it through everything holding it.
Reinstall the lower half of the cable down through everything that it threads through.
Put the "head" through the cable holder and into the clutch arm.
Tension the cable to pull the "head" into the clutch arm and bend the tab back into place to hold it.
Stick the cable sheath into adjuster and turn the adjuster all the way in.
Bend the upper end of the cable out away from the perch and insert the "barrel" into the lever.
Slide the lever back into the perch and reinstall the bolt.
Turn the adjuster out until your clutch pulls to your liking.