Need pics of Rear Brake Setup for 03+ Blaster

vega406

Apr 17, 2014
Hi all,

New to the forums as I just picked up a 2003 Blaster and an 2002 YZ250 to play around with. My issue is that the rear brake setup wasn't complete on my Blaster and now i'm going crazy trying to figure out what pieces i'm missing. The caliper was wired up out of the way and the disc and hub were missing. I picked up the hub and disc off ebay, but am now missing whatever is needed to mount the caliper. I purchased a caliper mounting bracket off ebay that was supposed to be for all Blaster years, it actually bolts up to the piece by the axle, but the caliper does not bolt to it. I've tried searching for hours and watching videos hoping to see what I need, but nope, no go.

So, please post pics of your stock rear brake setup so that I can see what I need to buy in order to get it working!

Thanks,
Josh

Reactions: cbaber
can you post pics of your setup? it would help,also tenth digit on frame is year unless someone switched out parts:)

http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/YAMAHA/2003/BLASTER/REAR-BRAKE-CALIPER

03 blaster brake.gif

Thank you for your response. I have looked at that picture over and over trying to figure out what i'm missing lol. I will get some pictures of my setup and post them up here.

Thanks,
Josh

Ok, I was able to get a few pictures of my setup. I apologize for the pics as my main camera on my phone is broken and had to use the front facing one. My setup doesn't quite look like the ones pictured, what would you suggest?

Also, the last 4 of the VIN (I believe) is 2019, so i'm not sure what that means either lol.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was in different locations. The VIN was on the frame directly in front of the shift lever. Also, i'm not sure if my pics are showing up yet, my post shows that it needs to be ok'd by a moderator.

Thanks,
Josh

the tenth digit is year on frame by shifter count left to right...that is the year ....do you have disc brakes in front?? your pics dont have to be approved just under 1mb :) it sounds like you have the wrong parts either you order the wrong year or your think you have a 03 when its not ????

You have an 03-06 Blaster with an 88-02 rear bearing carrier, brake hub/disc, and probably axle. The correct way to fix it is to get an 03-06 Blaster carrier, brake hub/disc, and axle. If you want you can use Banshee axle and make it wider, but you must use the Blaster carrier. The Brake hub and disc is the same Banshee or 03-06 Blaster.

Or, if you want to cheap out and fix it the easy way, just keep what you have and buy the Eastcoast ATV aluminum piece that mounts the hydraulic caliper rigid to the 88-02 carrier and works with the floating disc.

rear blaster 05 1.jpg
nice looking quad :) know you can put it as your profile pic lol,yeah i was going to mention someone might have swapped parts out:) notice mine is more centered then yours :)

Last edited:
yep, pre 03 cable brake carrier and 03+ hydro brakes will not work, unless you can fab and weld a homemade bracket ?
the east coast atv bracket is the easiest option now, be prepared to lose your praking brake cable/abilities though

Just reread your original post. I see that you bought that hub/disc. From what I can see in the pics, I am 97% sure that's an 88-02 brake hub. If it truly is, there should be grooves in the outside edges of it for rubber boots. These rubber boots and the wire clamps are necessary to keep the water and junk out of the splines so that the rotor will float side to side. This is all assuming that you are going to keep what you have and use the Eastcoast ATV aluminum piece. And yes, as Awk mentioned, you lose the parking brake, because that's where the aluminum piece mounts to the caliper to make it rigid to go along with the floating disc.

A good option for you is to Buy Awk's rear brake setup. That would eliminate buying the 03-06 Carrier, axle, hub, Eastcoast ATV bracket..etc..etc.

Plus you'd have brakes that stop ya!

Wow, thank you for all the posts with great information. I have been sick all weekend (and still sick) and have not had much of a chance to do more with my Blaster. Per a previous post, yes, it does have the front discs on it and it looks like it must be an 03-06 with an earlier blaster rear setup, though I didn't verify the 10th digit on the VIN yet.

At this point, i'm not sure which option I should choose. When I removed the rim/tire to put the disc brake/hub assembly on the splines, I found that the nut that holds the tire on is stripped as well as the axle threads and is really only being held on with the castle nut cotter pin!!! So, it looks like I should be replacing the axle very soon without riding it.

If it was your bike, what would you do with this scenario? If anyone has a setup kicking around, i'd definitely be interested in purchasing. I just want this to be safe for my wife (and myself, I may end up getting another 4-wheeler to play with too).

I truly appreciate the help, the members here have really helped with my project and my many hours of research didn't come close to what everyone has contributed!!

Thanks!!

That would be everything you need to get you up and running. That's not a horrible price. The 03-06 Blaster carriers are somewhat scarce because lots of people with early Blasters want them. That auction would be a 1 stop shopping opportunity to get everything you need and have some spares. If you decided later you wanted to go wider by getting a Banshee axle, you can always sell the Blaster axle. The Banshee drag guys want the 03-06 Blaster axle. It's not worth big money, but it would be easy to sell.

Also, if someone was riding a bunch with that striped nut, it's pretty likely that the splines in the wheel hub are worn. So there's another reason to buy that whole complete axle setup.

Last edited:
Quick update, did purchase the setup off ebay and here's what we have.

Out with the old:

And in with the new:

Brakes now work well and the bearings that were in the new used carrier seem good. Everything feels solid. Woo hoo.

Now I have an 02 and earlier rear set (really everything minus the axle unless someone wanted to rethread it).

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone on the board, it's been very helpful and beneficial!!!