Need help removing sprocket

Quadriderkmh

Feb 10, 2011
Westchester, Ny
i took off the tire hub the 2 lock nuts and need to take the sprocket off so i can change out carriers but it wont move at all, anyonne have any suggestions on how to remove it easier??

first off get some pb blaster sprayed on there to get working
then get the carrier off the bike, with axle still in it, and the nut on the axle end, so the threads don't het bunged up, then i put a block of wood on the floor and start dropping, then slamming if needed, the whole unit down onto the wood, with the side you took the nuts off facing down, that usually lets the carrier slide down and off the axle,
keep your hands on the upper side of the carrier, so you dont lose any meat !!!!!!!

but there have been hooror stories of big fuggin hammers and torches being needed depending on how bad it is galled in there

heat, pb,repeat, hammer, bigger hammer, BMFH , cutting wheel if needed. Depends on skill, patience, and weather you need to save hub. Heating up real good helps to break the bond of the rust, letting it cool some then spray with PB to cool and draw PB in. Heat just the hub with flame pointed away from seal/brg.

I just had to put bearings in 3 of my Blasty's, I am telling you guys, while its out drill/tap/grease zerk the carrier. The difference is night and day, nothing is rusted and everything looks really good plus it helps keep all the crap out of your bearings! 2 of mine weren't grease'able and one was and i would take it over the others any day. All 3 now have zerks!

lol...I am dealing with this same problem today. Have new bearings in my spare carrier (which has grease zerk already) but having a hell of a time getting the sprocket hub off the axle to get it out of the old carrier. PB Blaster, torch, Freeze-Off, and beat the sh*t out of the sprocket hub trying to get it off. Have a new sprocket hub so I am not worried about the old one. Just gonna keep at it till it comes off.

BFH and a piece of wood to protect the threads.
Also wear glove cause the reverb off the wood will hurt your hands.

BFH and a piece of wood to protect the threads.
Also wear glove cause the reverb off the wood will hurt your hands.

Finally got mine out today. 8lb sledge didnt move it. Finally just had to cut stuff off the axle. Cut the carrier in half. Cut a groove in the sprocket hub, bearings and spacer to expand them and get them to come off. Had to clean up the axle with a wire wheel to get rid of all the rust. Cleaned up ok. Bearings were the original one I think. Cant wait to get this thing back together in the morning. :D

Finally got mine out today. 8lb sledge didnt move it. Finally just had to cut stuff off the axle. Cut the carrier in half. Cut a groove in the sprocket hub, bearings and spacer to expand them and get them to come off. Had to clean up the axle with a wire wheel to get rid of all the rust. Cleaned up ok. Bearings were the original one I think. Cant wait to get this thing back together in the morning. :D

bet money the axle i sent you arrived today or tommorow, but nooooooo, you just couldnt wait could ya ?????
hahahahaaaaaaa

haha...Not today unfortunately. Hoping for tomorrow. I am figuring that the one you sent is probably in better shape so if it shows up I am gonna use it but want this thing together one way or another tomorrow.

before you put that biotch back together get some heavy equipment grease, the grease the splines under the hub, then next time you go to remove it it will come right off.

before you put that biotch back together get some heavy equipment grease, the grease the splines under the hub, then next time you go to remove it it will come right off.

Actually picked up a tub of grease tonight and the new carrier has a grease zerk in it so it should never be like this again. Just general maintenance that the previous owners never did.

yeah i know how ya feel. im just glad my bike was my buds before i got it...and i was his mechanic so it all got replaced before i had to foot the bill