Motor swap!!!! Ninja ex500

fmxr47

Mar 4, 2008
www.myspace.com
ok, sorry iidont have any finished pictures, well thats cause i havent really started yet, BUT, i just sold my motor to a member on here and this weekend i plan on going to pickup a ninja ex50 motor as the new powerplant of myblaster, i found it for only $200, al ill ned is to make up motor mounts, relocate the swingarm mounting position, get a stock or aftermarket pipe to hack up to make it fit on the blaster and get 2 carbs and a wiring harness, i plan on gusseting the frame so it can handle the power, now hurricane hannah will be way faster thn mine but i like the fourstrokes sound better than a 2-stroke, but you cant beat the powerband of a 2-stroke.

well here are some pics of my quad as it sits

0417081557.jpg

0417081556.jpg

0417081557a.jpg

wish me luck!, i will keep this updated with pics, money i ight right now so i have a feeling this will be a long drawn out process.

i would, but i have to custom make up one, i may use their silence, i like the sound of it, but im not sure if im gonna do dual or 2 into one for more torque, but dual on a blaster would be bad ass!!!

i would, but i have to custom make up one, i may use their silence, i like the sound of it, but im not sure if im gonna do dual or 2 into one for more torque, but dual on a blaster would be bad ass!!!

a blaster aint a blaster without the ping ping! lol, but id go 2 into 1! i had a 250 ninja with a muzzy on it and it sounded bad ass for a 250! but iv seen and heard them on the 500's and their about the same!

arent they 2 cylinders on the 500?, or is it just 2 intake ans 2 exhaust ports, i dont plan on taking my new motor apart untill it needs rebuilt, cause its in such good shape, but when they were reving them in outube videos it sounded slightly like it was 2 cylinder

good luck. you are about to start a project that is gonna take a little more time and money than you expect. be prepared.

well, between my metal working skills and my dads, getting it to fit is no problem, i only see that taking 2 days but wiring, and getting all of the other parts for the motor is the expensive part, i live right by a motorcycle junk/scrap yard so i will scrounge up what i can from there

as far as wiring goes, you can do with just teh ignition switch coil and CDI box. the glory of the 500 engine is that the instrument panel is not an integral part of the bikes electrical system. its an old design motor that still used the old fashoned cable system for the guages and the basic coil pickup for the tach. Timing and everything is controlled internally on the motor so no worries of anything digital in there at all. the hardest part will be the swingarm. the 500 swingarm mounts to the frame and not the motor like the blaster arm does. so making the blaster arm mount up somewhere else is gonna be a pain to get lined up and mounted so that it can handle the added abuse of the extra power and weight. you may have to fabricate a whole new mount completely that attaches to the blaster frame some how.

then comes the exhaust. the 500 pipes are designed to run under the motor and then exits up on the right side of the bike between the riders and passenger foot pegs. you will probably need to come up with a completely new exhaust system that is a side exit design. luckily, you can make up a 2-1 header system that should be able to keep a low profile against the side of the engine and exit in about the same place the blasters stock pipe does. worst case sceneriop is that you make it exit on each side of the bike near the front wheels. it will be loud, but you technically dont need to run a mufler on that motor and each side can run independantly without any worry for needed backpressure. its a very durable motor and candle a open header system if necessary. just run the pipes a little smaller than the stock diameter and you should be safe.

one last thing.... have you looked into the engine specs at all? the amount of HP gains vs the amount of fabrication needed. is it truly worth the work? I have done a few custom fabrication jobs as well on sportbike motor swaps. 600 to 1000cc type of swaps and swapping out blown motors for fresh ones in a few cases. i've also performed quite a bit of EX and GS 500 work on several diffrent year models so if you need any advice let me know. sometimes the swap has cost people more than if they had just went and bought a new machine or caused more headche that it was worth. before you do any cutting, be sure to have a sure fire plan on how everything is gonna go together. it would suck to get the new motor in and not be able to mount the carbs or swing arm due to some unforseen issue. i speak from experience on this and have ruined a perfectly good sportbike because of a guy that wouldnt take "it cant be done" for an answer.

i wish i were home. i would upload some pics of custom mounting plates and frame mounts that i have made. i could also show off the mad aluminum skills i have :cool:

yah man that would totally suck if you were to rip your blaster apart, cut it up, then only find that it cant be done, it will be tricky, but when its done, that thing should rip

thx for the info val, i already planned on making a new swingarm mount and i used to have a couple xr's with the 2 into 1 header so i know how im gonna make it and as for the bike motor, im only gonna use the ignition coil and a lighting source for a head light

ok, im picking up the motor at noon on saturday, i wont be making mounts for quite some time but i will test fit the motor to see what has to be cut.

i got the motor and the valve cover is cracked but that is all thats wrong with it, my local scrapyard has all of the parts i could need on a junk bike and has all the electronics, i jumped the starter with a battery and it turned over!!!!!. lol but for $200 i couldnt pass it up.