modifying a reed spacer to accept different reed cages

98mod

Feb 15, 2016
texas
Hello all, I am new to blaster forum. I recently picked up a 98 blaster for dirt cheap. The reeds were shot so I replaced them and boom. She fired right up. I read somewhere a guy modified a reed cage spacer to accept cr125 reeds. Is this actually possible and will there be any benefits cfm increase or a performance gain? I've done a few engine mods ,top end exc and wonder if this will help or just be a waste of time

You can do it with an OEM cylinder. It's allot of work though. Are there performance gains,,,, Probably ... is it worth the trouble for the performance gains ??? I believe a vf4 Reed cage would be in line of the same gains but with less hassle..

Reactions: OConnor Racing
I'm trying to do it all within a tight budget so the v force is out of reach at moment. What about 1990s model yz250 reeds some have the outside bolt patterns like the blaster but with 3 petals top and bottom?

I'm trying to do it all within a tight budget so the v force is out of reach at moment. What about 1990s model yz250 reeds some have the outside bolt patterns like the blaster but with 3 petals top and bottom?
Sorry, but "Tight budget" and performance increase don't go together well.
Even the CR cage mod has never been that popular. Cost/effort/gain. And have never seen yz250 cage used.
By the time you get a cage, new reeds, mod cyl , be near cost of V4. If $$$ is that tight , port stock cage and get 2 stage reeds.

Reactions: OConnor Racing
Yea I agree got a bounch of specs on reed cages it not worth the hassle I'll just get the v4z instead . Do you have the v forces and how do you like em if you do.

How did you port you stock cage? that was another idea I had I know to avoid the tips and inner edges where the petals sit.

Knew you were going to ask that. :D
Google "ported reed cage" lots of hits will come up. Unfortunately the only big to BF didn't have any pics. The ones on BHQ will be the best because banshee cage is same tho bit smaller. Be aware, some of the jobs are a bit overboard, wouldn't follow those.

If you do this be sure to use loctite on screws.

Wasn't implying the CR cage mod is bad, I don't even recall what all it takes. But the gains might not outway cost/effort except on an all out build such as drag racing , flat track, etc.
Kind of like tripple exhaust ports which are FREE, to easy to FUBAR.

I was reading somewhere about exaust ports where are they located on cage in jug? Do you know where I can find some info on it ?

Thanks. Larry's shee. Another question are blasters cylinders stock tapered toward the middle where the intake exaust port. And does anyone have any info on hot rods crank kit ck#144 on the piston rod casting.

We've stuffed the cr125 reeds into he stock intake of a blaster. It does require some work. Skill level, low to moderate.

You will need atleast a 10mm spacer for a cr125(blaster works, but you have to mod the blaster spacer). Cr125 reeds. Tools to grind away the intake walls.

Step 1 is to actually grind down the reed cage. Take a file to the side of the cage and start filing it down. You can actually grind to the point that the tip of the cage wall is flush to the petal. Don't go this far.

After that is done, start grinding away on the blaster intake. Open it up and put the cage in. Keep griding away until the cage fits with the reed spacer. Be careful not to grind 1 side to much.

This does add performance to a ported cylinder. The engine will need to breath more, big gains if you have supporting mods.

One way to think about it... At what point will breathing through a straw not be enough?

These are guaranteed to a minimum of 41hp :-D

Last edited: