Michigan Blaster on going build thread

Jolm

Apr 7, 2018
New from Michigan. I’m in the middle of completing my blaster and figured I should sign up for some useful info on certain things I’m doing to my blaster. I am hoping to have it completed within the month just in time for riding season. So far I have Alba +3 A-Arm in front, +4 rear swing arm off eBay and a banshee axle. Tusk nerf bars and a new factory steering stem and some aftermarket handle bars that need about a 1.5” riser but they look and feel better than the stock ones. I have some ITP rear wheels and brand new Ambush rear tires. I’m going to buy the matching front tires soon but have been putting money elsewhere until it’s running and riding. I stripped it right down and painted the frame black and put all new bearings wherever it was needed. The engine is what I’m in the middle of finishing now. I have a Wiseco crank setup and new bearings and seals with a new cylinder and a Wiseco piston. I have a hydraulic rear brake setup that I need to sort out too, I have my old carrier but a newer blaster rear brake setup that doesn’t appear that the lever will work on my frame although I bought the foot pegs for the newer blaster. Any input is much appreciated if anyone has any on this subject.

4BB57B3A-E994-42F6-9D15-255CC23CFC90.jpeg

2610DA30-38DD-4065-BCE5-B8610696144D.jpeg

9B6ADD44-2B1B-474A-A082-2041B33B66D9.jpeg

616B448F-926C-4A75-BF27-FE22BAF8381A.jpeg

F380EAF2-24DC-48B8-BED6-4D6D6F02B54A.jpeg

3EEA1C31-60B9-459A-A001-0DAAFE75B2F3.jpeg

C895508B-7E92-45D6-9754-1CD67ECF21D4.jpeg

14774CBE-4971-4557-BAB2-50D9DB2F491F.jpeg
Well I’m not sure if I could move this to a build thread or if I would have to make a new thread altogether but here’s some updates if anyone happens to read this lol

Got the engine started and it runs good! I’m super happy with it. I installed a wiseco piston and rings instead of the cheap one they gave me in the kit I bought. Also got all the wheels and tires on and headlight. Waiting on a renthal sprocket, brake rotor, shift lever and air scoops. I am going to race cut the fenders now that the plastics are installed and all the stickers are removed.

I would love to do that to my Blaster..(full tear down), just not in the cards. Mine is just a stocker '88. Still love it!
Forgot to mention..... nice job on the rebuild, and Welcome to the Forum. We have the BEST Gurus in the world on the Blaster, just ask.

I would love to do that to my Blaster..(full tear down), just not in the cards. Mine is just a stocker '88. Still love it!
Forgot to mention..... nice job on the rebuild, and Welcome to the Forum. We have the BEST Gurus in the world on the Blaster, just ask.

Thanks! It’s really come a long way from what it was, although it cost quite a bit lol I’d say I have about $1800 into it including what I paid for it originally so it’s a toss up as to whether it was worth it but I think it was since everything is new or like new. I race cut the fenders and put some air scoops on it since the last post. I bought an ‘03+ rear carrier so the brake setup is directly bolt on, just need to fab the rear brake lever and master cylinder brackets but that will be easy enough.

350455C4-CE1A-4BCE-95A4-6DCD736CFF6E.jpeg

Reactions: Awk08
Nice Build !
I don't see mention but have you jetted for the aftermarket pipe and plug chopped to confirm ?

Nice Build !
I don't see mention but have you jetted for the aftermarket pipe and plug chopped to confirm ?

Thanks! I haven’t been able to jet or do plug chops yet. There are no brakes on it and the engine has hardly any runtime on it. I have heat cycled the rings and ridden it around my house a couple times. I just had surgery last Wednesday so it’ll be about 3-4 more weeks before I can ride and do that. I am curious to know if anyone has ever heard of a Bills pipe? That’s the pipe I have with a DG silencer so maybe they’ll have an idea of the jetting I should put in it or a good place to start.

We have heard of the Bills Pipe, decent pipe if i remember correctly
check this thread for others who may have listed jetting for it ? .....
https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/what-jets-are-you-using.28981/

a safe starting point for most left bend pipes is usually around 300-310
pretty sure only the Toomey calls for richer 330 main

Nice I wasn’t sure about the pipe because I’ve never heard of it before, it’s the one that came on it when I bought it, but it’s a nice looking pipe. I’ll have to check that thread out and get everything ready to go for when I can ride and do the chops. Thanks for the info! I’ll post what I come up with when it’s all done.

Nice build. I got one going myself. Would love to do a whole taredown and paint the frame as well but don’t wanna sign up for it not running that long.

Nice build. I got one going myself. Would love to do a whole taredown and paint the frame as well but don’t wanna sign up for it not running that long.

Nice! Yeah mine needed a lot of work when I bought it that’s why I decided to do a full tear down. I missed my Banshee and YFZ 450, but I couldn’t afford to get back on one of those lol not right now anyway, so that’s another reason I went this route when I started looking at another quad. I’m going to swap on a Vito big bore stroker kit at some point but I ran out of funds to put into it right now. I’m just happy that I at least have everything to finish it and ride this season. Good luck with your build!

Nice! Yeah mine needed a lot of work when I bought it that’s why I decided to do a full tear down. I missed my Banshee and YFZ 450, but I couldn’t afford to get back on one of those lol not right now anyway, so that’s another reason I went this route when I started looking at another quad. I’m going to swap on a Vito big bore stroker kit at some point but I ran out of funds to put into it right now. I’m just happy that I at least have everything to finish it and ride this season. Good luck with your build!

Yeah I got Vito’s big bore with the +3mm crank on its way.

Here’s my build post
https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/06-red-white-and-blue.72468/

Lol Im spending money I probably shouldn’t and don’t really have, but my plan is to have a 2019 blaster that will last a low maintenance decade or more.

Yeah I got Vito’s big bore with the +3mm crank on its way.

Here’s my build post
https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/06-red-white-and-blue.72468/

Lol Im spending money I probably shouldn’t and don’t really have, but my plan is to have a 2019 blaster that will last a low maintenance decade or more.

Nice! I should have just pulled the trigger and bought the Vito kit but I also have a CR125 that’s close to finished as soon as I get the cylinder redone as well as a few other projects so yeah. I decided to go with the chassis upgrades on my blaster because I was trying to throw this thing around stock and it was not working well for me. I guess was spoiled coming from a Banshee and a YFZ450. Only thing I am looking at next is front and rear shocks which will be costly for the ones I want. Works or Elkas up front and probably just the Honda rear which should be enough. Who knows once I’m done I might just swap a Vito kit on just because it’ll be the only thing missing lol

Reactions: Awk08
I got the rear grab bar painted the same color as the swingarm and installed and I got the air box and intake cleaned and installed with the new K&N filter. Also got a little crazy with stickers but it is all stuff that is on the quad or related to that. I might take them off I’m not sure, I don’t think it looks too bad.

FE06805A-2E0A-4B00-9232-515B687A5AF2.jpeg

Reactions: EvsBlaster
Finally moving around and able to work on this thing after a few weeks off. I got the 03+ rear carrier on the other day and new rotor with what I think is a Banshee rear caliper setup? I can’t remember if that’s what I bought because it’s been so long since I started the project but I’m pretty sure that’s what it is. I still have to fabricate a mount and pedal tie rod but I think it’s going to work pretty well.

67F63920-EBB2-4AA0-875D-228151D1B604.jpeg