Metal shaving

Dash

Mar 3, 2017
Went to the local atv dealer to test drive a used blaster. While riding, the bike wouldn't shift out of first gear while running. Upon further inspection I found I could manually shift through gears while rolling the bike with the engine off( I figured bad clutch). Because of this I got a great deal. So I bought it as a spare bike, and took it home to discover the oil was way overfilled! So I changed it and added the correct amount. It runs and shifts great now. However there were metal shavings on the drain plug magnet. Should I be concerned? Also to note, the dealer told me the previous owner did a full engine rebuild.

Last edited:
Wear and tear will create some shavings. I'd change it again after several hours of use. If you find a lot next time, then start to worry.

As to the rebuild, you could do a compression test and/or pull exhaust off and have a peak at the piston. 120-125 psi is what you should get.

So, does it still have Shifting issue?

No, It shifts great. Plus the bike starts on the first or second kick Everytime when cold. I did a compression test as well, and it's right on the money.

Last edited:
I have a blaster 1996 model recently took it out a d was riding all day and suddenly a pop noise sounded like backfire and maybe a minute later it turned off. Found aluminum shavings and a chunk inside clutch cover. What should I do next.

I have a blaster 1996 model recently took it out a d was riding all day and suddenly a pop noise sounded like backfire and maybe a minute later it turned off. Found aluminum shavings and a chunk inside clutch cover. What should I do next.
The aluminum shavings are probably from your clutch basket. As for a "chunk" goes, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Is it a chunk of aluminum or steel? If it were me, I would start by removing the clutch cover (which sounds like you have already) and looking for visual damage to the clutch/parts, gears, etc... Also look for loose nuts/bolts(able to turn with fingers or show visual signs of rubbing wear). Is your oil level good? Also wouldnt hurt to do a compression test as well to make sure the popping sound and shutting down wasn't do to lack of lubrication in your top end.

Last edited: