Lt 80 Won't Start

Golddoor

Jul 14, 2015
Hi guys,

I need serious help before I light these things on fire. :mad:

I just bought two LT80's I believe 89 and 90 models. Not positive. But they were both pretty trashed out. On one of them I bought a new cylinder and piston for and rebuilt the top end. I'm pretty experienced at 2 stroke rebuilds (done hundreds of them) and yes got the piston in correctly with the arrow pointing towards the rear. Once I got everything together, I tried starting it, and the starter turned over 2-3 times and then nothing but clicking in the relay. So i took the relay box to Oreilly's and bought a new one. Put it on and it tried turning over (just barely tho) until the battery died down, then nothing but a clicking sound in the relay box. So tried charging the battery with my battery charger and then starting it again and turned over a few times then nothing but clicking in the relay. I can jump with a wire from the big red/white wire under the tank to the battery terminal and it will turn over but gets hot and starts smoking pretty quick. I bought a new multimeter today and plan on doing some checking. Any suggestions or advice on what is happening?

As far as the other LT80...it started when I bought it.. but I switched batteries with the one mentioned previously to see if it was the battery and now neither will start and are both doing the exact same thing. Could my automobile battery charger I'm using be the culprit by chance?

Batteries r probably bad or the bendix in the starter is stuck
IDK. but the starter looks new and turns over if i jump it from the battery to the big red /white wire. Could that still be the bendix?

Have you tried tapping the starter while trying to start?
No but I'll give it a try. thanks

Very easy to fugg a battery up by trying to charge it to fast, more so on small ones.

probably what happened then. Whats the best way to charge them?

Fast charge, quick death!

bought a multimeter and just checked the batteries on both machines and they are both reading 12 volts.

bought a multimeter and just checked the batteries on both machines and they are both reading 12 volts.

i have seen battery's read 12v and still not work....as a matter of fact like 1 month ago..brand spankin new as well never used.fully charged.
CHECK for a fuse between battery and starter a lot of them have them...... for instance if you connected wires up wrong it will blow the fuse and not anything elseo_O