lt 80 carb problem ?

jaddict

Dec 18, 2011
NORTHWEST INDIANA
Okay here is the problem I'm having. 96 lt 80 new petcock, boyseen reeds 90 main jet, oil block off kit fmf pipe, uni filter. Bike starts up fine after sitting for 1 to 2 days, runs great for 20 min, then it will die. When you try to start it again it acts like the battery is dead. Battery voltage is good. Put a battery booster on it, it will then crank, but the only way to get it to turn over is to hold the throttle wide open and crank for 20 to 30 sec. Then the engine will fire and bogg for about 10sec. Run great for 20min and repeat itself. When you try starting it when it dies it seems like the engine is flooded so much that it won't crank over the cylinder,until you put a booster on it and hold throttle wide open. Only help would be great. I have heard of a lot of problems with crank seals to. Removed both cases on both sides, and it was dry, so I don't think it is a crankcase seal problem.

Have you checked the spark plug to see if its fowled? Becouse if it was flooded like you mentioned, the plug will be wet with fuel. Are the reeds in good shape and installed correctly? Defective left crank seal will cause a lean running condition, a defective right crank seal will consume oil from the gearbox and you will notice excessive smoke.The best way to rule out a crank seal problem would be to do a leak down test.

Here's a link on how to perform a leakdown test.
http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/how-perform-leak-down-test-44653/

did you put an oem replacement petcock on? if so thats your issue, you need to either get one with an actual OFF position, or an inline shut off. are you running it in the prime position all the time?

also if thats definitely not the problem, replace the carb needle and seat with one of the kits from ebay, they have a rubber tip instead of the steel needle like oem.

Yes , that was the first thing I replace was the petcock. Bought a Banshee petcock with on and off. Reeds are installed correctly, did a leak down test and that was fine. Took the carb apart and the needle is worn out, hopefully that is the corporate, bought a rebuild kit on ebay. Thanks for the help, will report back when I get it back together.

If you speak of the jet needle being worn out, the needle jet will be stuffed up as well and will need replacing.

Yes , that was the first thing I replace was the petcock. Bought a Banshee petcock with on and off. Reeds are installed correctly, did a leak down test and that was fine. Took the carb apart and the needle is worn out, hopefully that is the corporate, bought a rebuild kit on ebay. Thanks for the help, will report back when I get it back together.

if you need any parts dirt cheap pm me, i have tons of lt80 parts, i have 3 complete ones, 2 with porting and shaved heads and clutch mods, and a few other parts bikes. i can tell you now look forward to cracked engine cases, i have quite a few in the scrap pile X(

if you need any parts dirt cheap pm me, i have tons of lt80 parts, i have 3 complete ones, 2 with porting and shaved heads and clutch mods, and a few other parts bikes. i can tell you now look forward to cracked engine cases, i have quite a few in the scrap pile X(

Looking to have the clutches done, does it make a big difference?

Looking to have the clutches done, does it make a big difference?

i would say yes, but i got my porting/head shaved and clutch work all done at once, so its really hard to say. i know i played around with the amount of rollers in the front variator to move the power around and still have top speed, there is a happy medium.

are you going with jack aka LT80? for the work? he is the only guy i trust to do anything on an lt80 and honestly the only guy i have ever paid to do anything for me, i usually do it myself.

you can take rollers out of the front varaitor, and if you have or buy a gram scale from harbor freight, you can cut down the rear shoes yourself

i would say yes, but i got my porting/head shaved and clutch work all done at once, so its really hard to say. i know i played around with the amount of rollers in the front variator to move the power around and still have top speed, there is a happy medium.

are you going with jack aka LT80? for the work? he is the only guy i trust to do anything on an lt80 and honestly the only guy i have ever paid to do anything for me, i usually do it myself.

you can take rollers out of the front varaitor, and if you have or buy a gram scale from harbor freight, you can cut down the rear shoes yourself

I usually do all the work myself too. Will have to look into jack. Found CT racing will do the work for $90, doesn't seem to be a bad deal.

KevinsRanger do you have any performance parts 4-sale?

not yet, i was thinking of selling the ported cylinder and clutch work off the one that jack built, and putting it back to stock to sell, but not sure yet. selling a modded kids quad is unsettling to me because im afraid some parent is gonna think its great and the kid gets hurt not being experienced with the power :(

My 6yr old is running one of jacks stage2.5 motors right now.I also have a Chris Grissom national port big bore which is faster than Jack's so im wanting to try one of Jack's national set-ups.We race in atv rodeos where you really need all the power you can get and both my boys handle the grissom motor great.We won in our points series this year and I know our competition is gonna step it up so we need to do the same.We beat several fully built Apex/DRR machines this year.My 9yr old needs to move up in machine size do yall think a Blaster would make a good rodeo machine?

My 6yr old is running one of jacks stage2.5 motors right now.I also have a Chris Grissom national port big bore which is faster than Jack's so im wanting to try one of Jack's national set-ups.We race in atv rodeos where you really need all the power you can get and both my boys handle the grissom motor great.We won in our points series this year and I know our competition is gonna step it up so we need to do the same.We beat several fully built Apex/DRR machines this year.My 9yr old needs to move up in machine size do yall think a Blaster would make a good rodeo machine?

i dont know about rodeo racing, so i can't comment on that, but my 10 year old moved up from the ported lt80 to the blaster and loves it. I LOVE the blaster more then my warrior and alot of other quads ive ridden

Re: lt 80 carb problem fixed

Got the rebuild kit Friday, and it was the needle jet, no more flooded motor. Can't believe how good this thing is running. Thanks for all the help.

Have you done anything to your clutches yet?How old is your rider?Did you get your carb.prob.worked out?