Looking for advice

Charlie Quinlan

Oct 21, 2019
05 blaster- top end was rebuilt and maybe put 2 dozen hours on it. Parked and sat for over a year... fast forward to now.

stock jet and exhaust, idle adjustment screw drilled and tapped.

bike had dirty fuel from sitting, tank drained and cleaned. Carb completely rebuilt and replaced float. Tors removed, but issues idling. Will only start and run totally choked and with the slightest touch of the throttle it pops or dies. Seems to have an exhaust gasket leak, as it’s obviously smoking.

Brings me to these options:

leak down test just ordered- will follow up with results.

Exhaust gasket repair

Do I need to review tors removal wiring? I believe it’s green and yellow/green connected, near the carb. I’ve looked around for videos, but most are 02 and earlier, want to make sure there isn’t something I should’ve done with the parking brake wires.

if I’m reading this correctly. Under the hood and and back near the carb

Once the wires coming out of the TORS box are connected together, it fools the brain into seeing the circut complete and functioning as it should. that should over ride any other connections to the TORS wiring, as they are not connected to the brain, right ?
but I have seen others say they did have to connect them at the carb (can't hurt, it's not connected to anything)
and once on a ride, on anothers blaster we had to connect all 4 wires together where they get cut at the TORS brain for that bike to run ?

I'd try just the 2 coming out of the brain first, then carb if needed

Once the wires coming out of the TORS box are connected together, it fools the brain into seeing the circut complete and functioning as it should. that should over ride any other connections to the TORS wiring, as they are not connected to the brain, right ?
but I have seen others say they did have to connect them at the carb (can't hurt, it's not connected to anything)
and once on a ride, on anothers blaster we had to connect all 4 wires together where they get cut at the TORS brain for that bike to run ?

I'd try just the 2 coming out of the brain first, then carb if needed

I had some time yesterday and decided to give it another go.. I traced back the wires from the thumb throttle, as they weren’t removed. They run down the stem (to a connector like the one shown) and then appear to run back along the frame (not to the ECU).

From the link/tutorial, I’d have thought these wires plug into a connector and then pass thru the ECU first- and then back down the frame to the carb.

Is there something I’m missing? Is it possible there is a second set of black and black/yellow I could be mixing up... At this point, what I’m left with is a set of wires that are essentially lopped to nothing.

The same Yellow/black stripe wire monitors both the throttle and carb switches, (they may splice together inside the wiring harness ?) once cut from the CDI/Tors unit and spliced as shown, all wiring in the harness to both switches is dead.

A look at the wiring diagram should answer your questions, # 6 & 7 are the throttle and carb switches, both fed by the same Yell/Blk wire
Clipboard02.jpg