Left crankcase seal

Spencer Evans

Aug 19, 2018
Trying to replace the seal on the left side of the case but having trouble removing it.. have tried just about everything other than buying a tool, it seems to be really stuck in there. Thanks for the help!

Is crank still in? Clean area and crank real good (brake clean).
Run a drywall screw in enough to catch it. Maybe 2-3 screws. Now use something to pull on screws.

FYI, seal pullers are pretty cheap.
https://www.harborfreight.com/seal-puller-with-2-tips-63039.html
AutozAut or such also has them

The crank is still in, just rebuilt the bottom end and the seal that came with the kit wasn’t doing its job.. tried screws maybe I’ll just have to get another tool. Thanks

Out of curiosity, where'd you get the seal?
Don't know if seal pullers would work with crank in the way.

Did you oil the seal? Myself I pack the seal with grease and lube the shaft with it.
Any rust on the crank?

Out of curiosity, where'd you get the seal?
Don't know if seal pullers would work with crank in the way.

Did you oil the seal? Myself I pack the seal with grease and lube the shaft with it.
Any rust on the crank?

I made the mistake of not putting any grease on the seal, which I found out later isn’t very smart.. it came with the bottom end kit I bought (hot rods) . It was a bad enough air leak that it wouldn’t start, but the crank is brand new hasn’t even run yet.

If there's any paint like substance on outside of seal that's a locktite like material that makes it even harder to pull.
If screws and pry bar doesn't work you'll have to split the cases

If there's any paint like substance on outside of seal that's a locktite like material that makes it even harder to pull.
If screws and pry bar doesn't work you'll have to split the cases
Hey finally got the seal out and got new ones, I’m not sure which seal is for the left side, one is bigger than the other when comparing the right and left case seals. Maybe I installed them opposite of what they are supposed to be.. thanks again for the help!

Hey finally got the seal out and got new ones, I’m not sure which seal is for the left side, one is bigger than the other when comparing the right and left case seals. Maybe I installed them opposite of what they are supposed to be.. thanks again for the help!

If you got the seals with the hot rods crank it’ll be the black one. The inside diameter of the seal for the one on the right side is larger so the bearing can slide in.