kx125 running problem

Discussion in 'Kawasaki' started by scrpe_gme_crzy, Feb 3, 2016.

1. scrpe_gme_crzy

scrpe_gme_crzy Member

so I got a 1999 kx125 and I was gonna ride it one weekend and I got it warmed up and as soon as I got it in first gear and went about 5 ft it bogged down and died. so I bought a rebuild kit for it *needed it anyway* so after I had got the bike working again with the new piston I decided to go for a ride and it did the same thing just died ? this is my question what could that be?

also before any of that had happened, when I first got it , it had a bad bog problem when i would redline it so I had got new jets for it a 152 main and 48 pilot . this had solved the problem , also stock float height the jet needle is on the 2nd clip and stock reeds. brand new weisco piston and rings. please let me know what you think , and been a while since I posted

2. Larry's Shee

Larry's Shee Active Member Technician

Unemployed carpenter
    Que the broken record :
    Have you done a leakdown test since rebuild ??
    Did you go up or down on the jets ??
    Have you done a plug chop/read to confirm jetting ?

3. scrpe_gme_crzy

scrpe_gme_crzy Member

have not done leak down test but there isn't any noticeable leaks, I have everything torqued properly with brand new multi later steel gaskets I think it was.

I went down on the main jet and up on the pilot, the pilot that was in there origanily was a 40 and main was 155. . stock main is 158 and stock pilot is 45.

I had got the info from here http://forum.dirtrider.com/discussion/6725635/jetting-specs-for-a-99-kx125-/p1
    have not done a plug chop, also I can't ride it bc it just bogs down and dies in first gear. and won't start for the rest of the dat

4. Larry's Shee

Larry's Shee Active Member Technician

Unemployed carpenter
    When it bogs and dies is it warmed up, what throttle position?
    Do you know how to tell difference between lean and rich bog?
    I see no mention of cleaning carb and setting float . ?

Knowing for certain an engine is 100% leak free is priceless !!!
    Even new gaskets can leak, dirt, old gasket, burr/groove on part. Plus's no mention of new crank seals.

5. scrpe_gme_crzy

scrpe_gme_crzy Member

I had it warming up just idling in my garage for maybe 15 minutes , then went out and had it about 3/4 throttle when it died and would not rev at all.
    yes I know and it was running really rich which is why I got new jets.
    I have cleaned the carb about 5 6 times since I had it, and everything was good. and float height is stock