Kick started wont budge

Scott R

Mar 4, 2020
I bought my kid a used 96 blaster. It started just fine and ran good when I test rode it. Get it home, start it but dont let it warm up and take off. I made it about 100 feet and pushed the clutch in going down hill and it died. I tried letting the clutch out to pop start it but it didnt work. When I went to kick start it again the kick started wouldnt budge. Did I mess up the motor?

I bought my kid a used 96 blaster. It started just fine and ran good when I test rode it. Get it home, start it but dont let it warm up and take off. I made it about 100 feet and pushed the clutch in going down hill and it died. I tried letting the clutch out to pop start it but it didnt work. When I went to kick start it again the kick started wouldnt budge. Did I mess up the motor?
That is ussualy not a good sign..wont turn over at all?

Try putting it in 2nd or 3rd gear and try rocking the bike backwards to see if it will turn some.pull spark plug first. Don't force anything.

Reactions: Scott R
I have no clue. I bought the bike and didnt even get to ride it. What should I use?
You need to find out if he was premixing oil or the oil injection is still hooked up.is there an oil tank at the back of the blaster?

Can I tell if its locked up by pulling the top end?
Usually what happens is the piston makes a four point sieze to the cylinder in your case. you should ALWAYS let your two stroke warm up before riding it hard or this can happen, pull the cylinder head and cylinder and assess damage done

Please report back.... everytime something like this happens, the storyline stops! I never get to find out what happens. See, some of us are not as mechanically inclined to fix these machines.. They seem to have a lot of things go wrong and i never get the final piece of the puzzle, so PLEASE report back, some day one of us will run into this problem and have ZERO options in our arsenal to repair these quads. Im not big on asking questions, I dont mind doing researh on this site, but 99% of the time the fix is never revealed. Clue me in!!
Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Slydog
Please report back.... everytime something like this happens, the storyline stops! I never get to find out what happens. See, some of us are not as mechanically inclined to fix these machines.. They seem to have a lot of things go wrong and i never get the final piece of the puzzle, so PLEASE report back, some day one of us will run into this problem and have ZERO options in our arsenal to repair these quads. Im not big on asking questions, I dont mind doing researh on this site, but 99% of the time the fix is never revealed. Clue me in!!
Thank you!
Your right alot of Times you never hear what they found?gave up?sold it?hauling asz?

Funny enough, I had the same thing happen to mine when I bought it.
My clutch springs let loose and did a bunch of sh*t to the inside of the clutch cover.
The guy I bought it from got it on a trade and ended it sending to a shop to get the clutch replaced. It worked when I tested it, but because the idiot at the shop forgot to put the washer between the locknut of the adjustment rod and the pressure plate, it sent it through the clutch assembly.

Here's my write-up of when I first bought mine.

https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/newbie-blaster-owner.73363/

Attachments

• Broken Pressure Plate (2).jpg
    Broken Pressure Plate (2).jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 194
Funny enough, I had the same thing happen to mine when I bought it.
My clutch springs let loose and did a bunch of sh*t to the inside of the clutch cover.
The guy I bought it from got it on a trade and ended it sending to a shop to get the clutch replaced. It worked when I tested it, but because the idiot at the shop forgot to put the washer between the locknut of the adjustment rod and the pressure plate, it sent it through the clutch assembly.

Here's my write-up of when I first bought mine.

https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/newbie-blaster-owner.73363/
Now you know why i go through every bike i buy.i have found some pretty scary and dangerous things.plus then you know you have a tight machine that's fresh