Jetting

jbblaster3

Sep 29, 2018
Indiana
I need opinions on what siz jet to use. I recently got an 04 blaster and I took the carb off to clean and remove the tors system. The previous owner had put fmf pipe other than that I believe it’s all stock. So I seen he had rejetted it once bc it had a 260 jet already in it and the clip was on the 2nd groove.I’ve recently added an uni air filter since it had the stock one still on and I put the vforce 4 reeds on. What is a ballpark number for jet size I should be at, I was going to say 280? And where should I keep my clip position at? Any feedback highly appreciated. Also I was considering takin airbox lid off or drill out a couple inch holes on top of it, I attempted it and rode it down the street but it completely changed the sound of the quad, is it good or bad to have the lid off?

Reactions: Larry's Shee
With the filter and now lid off you are getting what's known as intake roar. With the filter and ESPECIALLY the lid off (or holes) DO NOT ride until you re-jet. Depending on elevation and temps, start with at least a 300 and plug chop down from there.
Being fat (or rich) will never hurt an engine, running lean will melt a piston.

With colder weather coming you have to increase jetting anyways.

Reactions: jbblaster3
I got it all put back on... put new reeds new spark plug new filter and cleaned and jetted the carb and now it won’t start...HELP.. what could be causing it to not fire. It’s always started first or second kick..

Almost didn't see the HELP.
NEED 3 things, air, fuel, fire,, what don't you have?
Air filter not over-oiled?
Is plug wet? You can see through Jets? Float level set? Air screw?
Nice blue spark?

Almost didn't see the HELP.
NEED 3 things, air, fuel, fire,, what don't you have?
Air filter not over-oiled?
Is plug wet? You can see through Jets? Float level set? Air screw?
Nice blue spark?

Plug is brand new the filter should be good I wiped it down so it was over coated with oil. The jets were good and clean. The float level I set to the specs in the book.. would the wires going to the throttle cable do anything because I snipped those and if they were touching would it cause it to not start?

Well, yea. That's how the Tors works. Determines if throttle and slide match position. TORS elimination has to be done correctly for model year. Pre 03 disconnect three wire plug under hood. 03+ search, two wires need cut and spliced at CDI.

What type of filter and oil?

Didn't answer if you have nice blue spark.

Reactions: jbblaster3
Well, yea. That's how the Tors works. Determines if throttle and slide match position. TORS elimination has to be done correctly for model year. Pre 03 disconnect three wire plug under hood. 03+ search, two wires need cut and spliced at CDI.

What type of filter and oil?

Didn't answer if you have nice blue spark.

Well I got it to fire just by spraying starting fluid in the carb but the idle is extremely high I drilled the hole for the idle kit and have the screw all the way in.. what could be the cause of the high idle.. it’s basically at full throttle when it starts up without doing anything but kickin it over

I didn’t have the bolt on the cap screwed all the way down.. once I did it finally started idling like it should.. any suggestions on other adjusts I could make..