Intermediate misfire

Devan Cart

Oct 9, 2018
so I just rebuilt my fourwheeler and it has a whole different motor than before but it still has a problem that began before the rebuild. When barely pressing the throttle or trying to take off it begins to cut out almost like a misfire. It will then stall and die unless I give it a lot of gas and rev it real high to take off. It also does it when driving at the end of the rpm range but it won’t stall and die but can hear it cutting out. I instantly think tors problems but not so sure about that because I’ve always heard it will rev real high on its own or will not run at all. I have a video that I will not let me post of what it’s doing do to bring to large of a file so hopefully someone can help me out. It still has the original carb from before the rebuild, same tors system, same cdi, tors control box and more. If someone could please help me it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Have NEVER heard of tors making it rev out. However it causes all kinds of weird problems, so I guess anything is possible. Therefore, the first thing to do is disable it. 3 wire plug under the hood.

Have you cleaned the carb? Completely disassembled, not just pull float bowl and spray it off and call it clean. This includes the emulsion tube/main jet holder. Make sure air blows through ALL passages.

Remove plug cap and trim 1/4" off wire and reinstall, preferably with dielectric grease.

List ALL your carb settings. Pilot, main jet size, needle clip position, number of turns on air screw.

Pilot is still the stock 32.5, main is up to a 280 do to the upgrades of full bills exhaust boyesen reeds, airbox lid off, and 68mm bore, not sure on needle position as I think it’s still the stock needle, air screw is at one and half turns out.

Hhmm, guess I was thinking more part throttle. Should have read closer. Ok ,ruled out carb. Starts easy, not reeds or compression.
So let's move on to electrical. Check ALL connection that they are clean and tight. Dielectric grease wouldn't hurt. Might try bypassing switches. One is normally open the other closed. Kill switch unplug, key switch would have to jump some wires. You would have to find wire diagram.
Check that grounds are clean bare metal.
If still not better pull flywheel clean any rust off flywheel and stator. Ohm stator.