I made a Blaster specific gearing calculator

looks good, but i got one question before i add some reps also
it says rear wheel diameter, but the example says 22 < thats wheel height ??? correct ???
tire diameter is gonna be way a bigger number than that ????

edit...i actually read the directions, and i've had 3 levels of algebra, plus geometry and trigonometry before and this does not compute to me...........

Wheel diameter can vary subject to tyre choice. Measure roll circ and use C=Pi times D to calculate, where Pi is 22/7

give me an example of a 20 inch tire ????

I found something but it's for ITP only- Whatch think?

281bmm9.jpg

this calculator cannot work without the circumference of the tire, hence the ....

"roll the tire" = 22/7 x pi gibberish that i do not understand ?????

why cant we just roll the tire, or measure it's circumference and use that measurement in the formula, whats with this "hair pi" bullshit ?????

the circumference of the tire is how far it will travel in 1 revolution of itself

Reactions: JWBlaster
Technically gearing is the difference in circumference of each of the individual components of the gear train (including the tires).

The "easy" way to figure out the tire size is to make the program figure out the circumference by using the tire diameter. Diameter is printed on the side of the tire, circumference isn't.

Circumference is Pi (or 3.14159265 or 22/7) times D (or diameter).

Reactions: Awk08
greens for you too civic, why the hell didnt he just post it like that.............

3.14xd=c

but you can still just measure c ????

You can measure circumference and that's ACTUALLY more accurate. We all know the diameter on the side isn't always perfectly accurate. It depends on air pressure and tire wear but the printed diameter is usually close enough for the gearing calculator...

Sorry AWK. The code isnt mine. I took the code, customized it, coded in the blaster gear info, etc. The rest of it I kept as the original person wrote it.

Im honestly not sure about the whole circumference thing either, I just figure its close enough for government work knowing the diameter of the tire youre running. Given you can compare 2 different diameter tires and get a good idea of the difference.

If youd like, I could change it up to say something like that, and remove the circumference math equation. I didnt make it.

Reactions: 1995blaster
Sorry AWK. The code isnt mine. I took the code, customized it, coded in the blaster gear info, etc. The rest of it I kept as the original person wrote it.

Im honestly not sure about the whole circumference thing either, I just figure its close enough for government work knowing the diameter of the tire youre running. Given you can compare 2 different diameter tires and get a good idea of the difference.

If youd like, I could change it up to say something like that, and remove the circumference math equation. I didnt make it.

it's after 12 here so i can finally give you some greens, i had given out too many yesterday
sorry for the confusion, it's all good, i'll just measure my tire circ.
us old fogies try to eliminate all that math, hence the gearing calculator !!!!

edit.....still wont let me dish any greens, i got ya tomorrow !!!!!

The calculator is good if you are looking at purchasing new tires and want to figure out what gearing you should purchase to work optimally with the new tires.

If you already have a some tires to measure the circumference, that method is more accurate as it is the ACTUAL circumference of the tires and not the mathematical circumference, but if you don't have the tires in hand yet you can still use the calculator. You just have to take the diameter of the new tires, and multiply that times Pi, TT, or 3.141592 (however you denote it as they are all correct) to get the mathmatical circumference.

BTW, thanks Awk. I've been on the two green rows for weeks now on my monitor at home.... guess that means it's time to upgrade the home PC huh?

thanks man i just used it to determin what speed i would have if i ran 14/44 rear & 22in rear tires so if i get the sprocket i will have 1mph under what i would have from 13/40

So, just curious, whats the point of spending money on a 14t front and a 44t rear, when its not really any better on acceleration than 13/40 gearing?

Why would you want to spend your money on that? Why not just run like a 12t front and a 39t rear, or something like that?

Or is that what the calculator showed you, that it ISNT worth it?

The calculator is spot-on from my observations. My Son tops out at 44.5 mph according to GPS. Using this calculator, 14/40 18" tires shows the same top speed. It's nice to know he's getting top speed on the straight away. Thanks for a great tool.