how to plug chop

KOR trail port, redesigned head, boyesen reeds, trinity right bend pipe, 35mm airstriker, cfm box. i'm running a 142 main in it atm. not sure of the pilot right now. still has a noticeable hesitation so i wonder if i could mess with the needle to cure it?

carbs are not easy for me for some reason.

Well with any modding, low end will increase, but not remotely as much as top end power so you will notice the "hesitation" in 2 strokes and really any engine when generating more power. Now that's not to say it can't be mended. Where is your needle at right now? You can tinker with it and richen and lean it out and see if it responds any better. Also while riding, take a small screwdriver and ride it and play with the screw and see how the throttle response is up to 1/4 throttle and you can improve it before the powerband. After that, if you have it tuned in and it's still finicky you might start exploring other things like needle tapers, diameters, and lengths which typically becomes more of a hassle than you probably want to mess with as it can slightly affect the entire circuit.

i used a dremel tool w/ cutoff disk. worked perfect and was a clean cut too.

I guess I don't understand. What does chopping the plug do? What does it accomplish? Does it remove the upper piece completely and you run the plug without a ground electrode? The plug still works without a ground electrode? Is it producing more...airflow? Better combustion?

I guess I don't understand. What does chopping the plug do? What does it accomplish? Does it remove the upper piece completely and you run the plug without a ground electrode? The plug still works without a ground electrode? Is it producing more...airflow? Better combustion?

removing the threads allows you to see the "smoke ring" to read it's color and determine if your jetting is good (cardboard color) rich (dark brown to black) or lean (grey to no color)

and the plug is junk after that, small price to pay to know your jetting is correct and it'll rip and not fry pistons

Reactions: chip27844
You're simply cutting the threads off the plug so that you can see the ring at the bottom of the ceramic cone. When you do a correct jetting run (1st gear - 6th gear at full throttle then kill the engine) the color of the ring indicates how rich or lean your carb is tuned. Lean you blow your engine or wear it out quickly. too rich you waste power and fuel. And yeah, like AWK says, you can't reuse that plug, it's garbage after you cut the threads off it.

So does it matter what you cut the threads off with? Or can you just use what ever's available as long as you dont break off the insulator to see your oil burn ring right.

^^^^^^ yes, use whatever you have.....hacksaw, bandsaw, pipe cutter, etc.....and avoid breaking the insulator so you can get your reading.

Thanks again lttlel3mil I just re read this and did a few things wrong and am now looking forward to doing it again. (not really cause I blew a top end poss. a lower as well IDK yet). but still great info that many people should come hither to regardless of exp. or mods. have a pay increase rep given

ggreat info dude.

will definately try this

Thanks again lttlel3mil I just re read this and did a few things wrong and am now looking forward to doing it again. (not really cause I blew a top end poss. a lower as well IDK yet). but still great info that many people should come hither to regardless of exp. or mods. have a pay increase rep given

no problem I:I this is a must

thanks for the rep.