how i painted my rims

99blasterzach

Sep 21, 2015
So first thing i did was, i took off the back rims.
after i took off the rims i had put a wire wheel on the drill and removed all of the nasty rust and grime and crappy paint. after that i had put Rustoeum Rust reformer. ( i should have cleaned the rim with laccer thinner) but i just sprayed the rim off with compressed air.
i sprayed the rim with the rust converter and let it sit 24 hours like the can said to.

The next day i lighty sanded out the runs in the paint with 600 grit sandpaper and i sprayed it with 99 cent wally world primer.
after letting that sit for 3 days i painted over with my rustoeum flat protective enamel, i looks good

first pic is when i first got it

next is after cleaning rim up with wire wheel

3rd pic is after rust converter
4th is after paint.
last ones are on blasty

Attachments

• IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0193.JPG
    IMG_0193.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0264.JPG
    IMG_0264.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 299
Reactions: ford_guy
Never tried it but heard if you let the air out you can stick playing cards in there for masking the tires easier.

Only thing I'd have done differently is used rustoleum primer. Looks great. Amazing how a little work can improve the looks.
Is your frame paint or PC? Love the color !!

Yeah that rustoleum enamel is great stuff. I'm in the middle of painting my POS daily driver because the hood was chipping real bad. I used the black gloss enamel though. Put on like 6 light coats on my hood outside on a windy day and it still didn't turn out half bad. The wind made me hold the can too close so there were lines from where it went on heavier but then I put on 3 coats of the clear in garage and shined everything up real good. Looks so good I'm deciding to paint my whole car because it has matte paint on it now and I think gloss looks 10x better on a car.