How hard to remove the engine?

WarrenW

Apr 16, 2012
Savannah, GA
Hi everyone,

After looking at pictures of painted blasters on here I would like to remove the engine from mine and paint the frame. How involved is it to do this?

Here is a picture of my 2002 blaster I just got last week. I traded my 2001 Honda XR250R bike for it even. It runs great but no brakes. I'm gonna order the hydro kit from awk on here. I plan to paint the plastics, frame and wheels.

blaster2.jpg

Warren

remove the pipe, pull the carb out of the intake boot and airbox boot, disconnect the clutch cable, unplug the wiring harness, pull the swingarm pivot shaft *almost* all the way out, then remove the engine mount bolts.

not too bad, oh yeah, either loosen the chain or take the front sprocket off

It took me 30 minutes or less last night to do mine.

Edit: if you hacent already, check the jetting and for air leaks. Mine was running great until after 2 hard rides. I was taking mine down the road to do a plug chop and BOOM! Check them or your in for a 200 dollar top end!

Wish I could find CL pic of a painted blaster I just saw. They remove dthe engine to paint the frame, and shocks,and wires, and electrics, and everything else, except the engine X( Looked like total A$$. Only way to do it "right" is you have to take EVERYTHING apart to clean and prep it properly I:I

I would do the nerfs first to see if you can handle the rest and just so you can see how it will turn out, if you've never done this big a project. Cause the nerfs look like they could use it more than anything else. Also just do the front rims and leave the rears alone and leave the plastics unpainted. Also I'd do the frame like a dark midnight cobalt blue. Just my opinion. look for the color in post 246 in the link http://www.blasterforum.com/full-rebuilds-128/triple_bs-rebuild-40366/index7.html

Larry, why would someone paint the wires and all with the frame? If you see that pic let me know.

Racer51, I love that cobalt blue!! i went through his whole thread this morning and he is doing a great job! I may have to ride my blaster a little bit before I start repainting it especially since I just got it a week ago! But I'll do it right rather than a half-ass job!

I already ordered my hydro brakes from awk - yeah! So during that two weeks till I get them I may do some cleaning and work on the blaster. I know the plastics definitely need painting!!

I'll keep everyone posted.

Warren

Just get it painted in the winter when most of the blasters are hibernating. I 'm gonna try my hand at it some day with my 3rd blaster only I'm gonna mix in black glitter to the paint and have that color slightly darker when I get mine done. But yea I'd just ride it and enjoy it.