Honda Blaster TRX-80R

Bigbore

Aug 22, 2009
Orchard Colorado
Hey guys! I'm new to the site. Been working on a blaster project for my 12 year old. We needed a higher horsepower machine for him to ice race with for this season. Since he's stuck in the 90cc and under class until he's 14. I bought APEX 90cc machines for my other to sons (8 and 11) The 11 year old and the 12-year-old run in the same class, mini quad B. The 11 year old didn't want to have to shift while racing. The 12 year old knew that when I build something... I go all out! So he said he'd wait the 6 months (we started the project in May '09) so long as it was done in time for the race season here.

We bought a roller, that was trashed! The motor was stuck, the axle was bent, the plastic was gone, and the brakes weren't even there. One side, the a arms were bent back 2 inches. It was bad! But it was perfect for what we wanted. Paid the guy $100 for it and drug it home. Found a 98 CR-80 for a donor. The top and bottom end had just been redone and had less than an hour on it. Paid the guy $400 for it. Found a lot on e-bay, Jensen +3 +1 a arms, a brand new set (all 3) Ohlins shocks for it, a +2 swinger, Durablue +4 axle, GYTR sprocket hub and disk brake hub and some other stuff. Bought a new FMF pipe, ASV levers, Brembo rear caliper master cylinder, Brembo front brake res, Wave rotors, new plastic, Hi-Flite made the seat, Pro-Taper bars, Lone Star stem, 2 core CR-80 radiator, Douglas Bead locks, Hoosiers, aluminum bearing carrier, banshee spindles, and a lot more.

A lot had to fabricated... The radiator shroud, radiator mount, pipe mounts, entire rear brake assembly, brake pedal, motor mounts, kicker is a cut ATC 250R and welded, insert bushings in the back of the cr-80 motor, the sprocket came from Sprocket Specialties 52 tooth 428 2 piece split sprocket. The sprocket is mounted on the inside of the sprocket hub. All of the major bolts were made out of stainless steel, swinger bolt, bearing carrier bolts, front and rear shock bolts, motor mount bolts and the front a arm bolts. All of the rest of the bolts are stainless steel Allen head cap screws.

Plastic is Maier blaster in red. The nurf bars are DG race peg nurfs with red webbing. DG front bumper and grab bar. Terry Cable did the cables for the clutch and throttle. The front and rear brake lines are stainless from streamline. Sway bar is from Durablue.

Motor is ported. Running a 30mm Kehein round slide. Barnett Kevlar clutch and heavy-duty springs. Hinson basket.

It sits 4 inches off of the ground and screams!!!!!!!!!!!!! It'll out accelerate and run as fast as my KFX 700.

I did all of the fab work, machining and welding in my shop.

Anyway... I tried to upload the pics and they won't upload. I'm going to post this over to 3weheelerworld.com in the quad section with the pics if you guys want to look at them and let me know what you think. Here's the link Honda Blaster TRX-80R

Last edited:
If I was a 12yr old on an E-ton or a Kasea I think I'd cry. That thing is BAD!!!!!
Nicely done! My boy was running a little Viper 90 with +3 arms, elkas, ported jug, 28mm carb, Hetrick pipe, etc.........................but it didn't even hold a candle to that beast.
Are the other teams whining about it? That thing must OWN.
Awesome job Bigbore.

You guys gotta see this.........................
I scooped 2 of the pics.
CR80Blaster2.jpg

CR80Blaster1.jpg

Thanks for the help with the pics guys. I'll get a few more close ups posted now that I know how to do it.

I've got about $4,200 the way it sits now. A new Apex 90 was going to run me that with the hoosiers. The blaster with the CR-80 in it screams! At the ice races, 2nd race just ended and it was the first race that we ran it in, it placed 3rd. My son was having issues with shifting and keeping it up in the rpm's. We worked on it this week and should do a lot better this week. He got a 1st place on the brothers APEX the week before... so. But it's 12 mph faster than the APEX and will out excellerate it ( and the apex isn't stock!)

OH.... yea! we've already heard the complaints. He's a B class rider and the other parents want him bump to A's, because

wow bro thats a sweet ass quad. nicer than any of my toys. hope your son knows how lucky he is to have a great dad like you to do that for him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

will you adopt me?? im willing to move out to colorado and do hosehold chores anything you want... only thing i ask for is a sweet blaster like that... haha

but great job looks beautiful.. get it in botm ill vote for you

That is a sweet blaster/er CR...uh....quad.I:I

Aren't those Hoosiers supposed to be mounted on the other side or is that a dirt track trick flipping them?

That is a sweet blaster/er CR...uh....quad.I:I

Aren't those Hoosiers supposed to be mounted on the other side or is that a dirt track trick flipping them?

For the ice. The kid’s class have to run bare tire and the tires hook up better turned that way. The leading edge bites more when your sliding one direction and the wheels are turned the other direction. I siped them (hard to see in the photo's) 11 cuts per inch.

My son feels a lot luckier now reading all of the comments. Told him that I was going to trade him for one of you guys..... He didn't think it was very funny!

My son feels a lot luckier now reading all of the comments. Told him that I was going to trade him for one of you guys..... He didn't think it was very funny!

HAHAHAHAHA thats funny LOL. I hope my son appreciates it when I do it for him. I am building him a 2003 CRF50 to learn to ride on he is only 6 months old had it bought before he was born LOL. My 13 year old son wants nothing to do with riding and my other 3 are girls they wanna learn to ride. But want quads. And trying to het a couple LT80s I have to remortgage the house to get them around here. LOL

For the ice. The kid’s class have to run bare tire and the tires hook up better turned that way. The leading edge bites more when your sliding one direction and the wheels are turned the other direction. I siped them (hard to see in the photo's) 11 cuts per inch.

IM 1st in line if your kid gets lippy and you want to trade!!! im willing to buy my own plane ticket and help you work on the quads haha..

he should feel so lucky that you buy him all of the parts my parents let me own them and buy me gas and oil but i have to buy them and the parts to keep them going and he gets to race you probally pay for that also