Hi guy's I'm back.

blaster7

Mar 5, 2011
Martinsburg wv
Hi everyone long time no see.Been very busy lately well here go's,A few weeks ago I picked up a new to me 89 Yamaha banshee I got it for $400 and it ran OK but the guy that owned it before couldn't get it to run right so I got it home tore her down and replaced everything that needed replaced witch was quite a bit,Well come to find out the guy had the carb slides in backwards and the left carb had striped cap threads so I had to pick up a new carb BTW it has tors eliminated as well.I got everything back together and it runs 100% better but I did a plug chop and it was way lean so I ordered 220 jets it had 200's in it well I tried them out still way to lean the only other jets I had on hand was 270 mains so I tried them out and well it ran way to rich as expected lmao so I'm thinking I'll pick up some 240 245 and 250 mains and try those out.Some details about the bike its all stock except for its bored over .20 it has opened air box (no lid) yes its sealed with nuts and bolts through the filter cage and airbox so the filter doesn't pop loose.And I live about 800ft above sea level so my question is this normal for the jetting to be this rich for these little mods and only 800ft? it idles fine and starts with first kick but it does have a little hiccup between 0 to 1/4 throttle but not much.the carb is set at 2 1/2 in on idle screws and the fuel screw is a 1.5 out also the needle is set at 3erd clip.And as always thanks for all the help in advance guy's.

Here is a pic of the bike.
IMG_20150619_171322.jpg

Reactions: 79 bronco and Awk08
hey 7, good to see you back around, nice lookin shee !
I'll let any shee guys answer your jetting questions
but this.....

so my question is this normal for the jetting to be this rich for these little mods and only 800ft?

lower elevations require richer jetting than higher elevations

Thanks boss and yeah I'm glad to be back on.But yeah I know about the jetting being fatter and lower elevation because there is more air down low then high but still 240 to 250 main on a basically stock bike? I'm just wondering if maybe an air leak but there is no erratic idle and shee starts right up ya know.I mean the thing with 270's in it still runs like a strong on top? I'm kinda at a loss lol.I guess I'll have to get two more header plugs and one more intake plug for my leak down tester to leak test her and see what's up.Again thanks buddy.

Make sure your carbs are sync'd. the carb sync tool is really easy to use, and you'll be shocked how far off they are when you do it by sight, feel, etc. I got mine from F.A.S.T. racing.

That little flat spot at the 0-1/4 throttle, try turning in the the airscrews in about 1/2 turn. What size pilots are in there?

Hey dirty yeah there synchronized bud I have a synchrometer. I will try that 1/2 turn in as you mentioned just to see if it helps as for pilots there at 25 witch is standard.Thanks for all of the help bud.

@pudvah Thanks bud.Yeah the guy had no idea what was up with it plus he just got a new house and his wife wanted it gone so I snatched it.But if you guy's think this is bad my brother just got a 05 trx450r that has all sorts of big money in and it was just rebuild it was owned by my brothers good friend and right after the guy got it rebuild top and bottom he went to run it and couldn't get it to run so he thought he messed something up so he just wanted it gone so my brother got it off of him for only $600 we got it home and I was looking through it and it turns out he had one of those nolegy coils and it was only working every now and then,Well we get a new coil and bam it fired right up lmao so we broke it in and re changed the oil and it runs great,I'm thinking my brother will actually keep this one but we'll see.

I would do a leakdown test before you go any farther. Be sure to take the radiator cap off while testing. The Banshee stock front bumper rubber end caps and a couple hose clamps works great for capping off the exhaust. If you don't have any, go to the hardware store and get Johnny caps in the plumbing section.

Last edited:
@pudvah yeah that's what I said when he got it for that lol.@bluesman yeah I just plugged the cylinder header flange with expandable freeze plugs and worked great.I hooked everything up a little while ago and leak tested it at first I had a leak but it was just where I hooked up the guage on the intake side after I got that sorted out it held 6 psi for 8 min's so I'd say it passed that,But then again I'm not surprised seeing as the guy I got it from put all new seals and welded oem crank in only a year ago.I guess it just wants fatter mains but I didn't think that just having the lid off and being bored over to the next size would require such fat jetting ya know.Oh BTW before anyone ask yes I set the floats height at 21mm with a float gauge. Thanks for the help everyone.